ESA and debt — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and debt

Options
seasidemama
seasidemama Community member Posts: 9 Listener
hi I’m on income based ESA (support group) and have a community advice group helping me with debt. 

Bailiffs have asked for :

1.)proof of my ESA - provided
2.)income expenditure form - provided

Now they want 3 months of bank statements from me.

the community advice group says the bailiffs have a right to ask for that, and that they won’t like it if I redact details like my account number and details of payees. I have nothing to hide, I just feel it’s really invasive & want to protect as much of my privacy as I can.

My question is:

Doesnt the ESA letter prove my financial status? It’s income based so the government has already established I am eligible.

also, I have provided a mental health form and letter from my GP.

The debt has accumulated from a £35 parking fine from my local authority.

Does the LA have a duty of care to reclaim the debt from the bailiffs?

I am offering to pay the original parking penalty even though I did appeal it on grounds of medical symptoms. My appeal was hand written and late so it’s not straightforward.

its causing a lot of stress and distress. I feel like the community advice group isn’t taking into account my needs in representing me. 

Anything you can help with? 
Many thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I think the reasons they're asking for the bank statements is to see what your expenditure is, rather than proving you're claiming the ESA. A letter stating you're claiming ESA doesn't prove your financial status but bank statements will prove this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    This is a difficult situation.  Often bailiffs are instructed not to accept arangements and to seek full payment on parking fines.  Perhaps their request is so they can properly understand your situation.  If you are seeking to make an arrangement with them then you could indulge them and provide the statements (although it does feel overzealous) in the hope it may help you in the long run.  You are also perfectly within you rights to ask the LA to call the debt back from the bailiff, this would be at their discretion though. 
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.