Getting help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting help

Uniqueearthling
Uniqueearthling Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I sometimes and i say sometimes as only recently i have had very painful hands and my right ankle, for around 6 weeks i was unable to even make my bed and change the sheets, i had a cleaner but she got a job full time so was no longer there to help me once a fortnight as i can live without my bed changed every week. . She charge 10 pounds, so when i asked Age concern they said they have cleaners and they charge 12.50, which would work out 50 pounds. a month for a pensioner which i am..why is everything disabled people need cost more than those who are not One i asked cost only 6 pound as the bosses take a cut from their workers for getting them a job.. both these are so wrong. i would not do that to someone. Happy to pay standard rate 10 pound an hour. Most at Age concern are really elderly and disabled. Greed reaches out everywhere.because they are vulnerable and need CRB checks. The disregard for the disabled people is endemic now, the Tories have see to that, same as fat people are discriminated against. Sorry have to stop as cannot write anymore as i am in pain. hope i have got this point across. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Uniqueearthling
    I am sorry to hear you are struggling, have you thought about looking for a local cleaner rather than going through Age Concern?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Uniqueearthling

To be fair to Age Concern, £12.50 is at the cheaper end of the market going through an organisation, company or agency.

Also saying that one person only got £6 as 'the boss takes a cut from their workers for getting them a job' is a huge misrepresentation of what is actually going on. You are paying the organisation you go through to do the cleaning. This means if your regular cleaner is not available they have to find a replacement. They also have additional costs which need to be covered, which if you are paying a local cleaner directly they do not have.

As @Sam_Scope said you might prefer to hire a local cleaner.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.