M R — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

M R

poppy60
poppy60 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
hi
has anyone ever challenged the length of pip award please . If so how did it go ? My accessor recommends 2 years on my report .

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think that many people, those without professional welfare support, would know where to start or how to go about it.
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    I'm sure I have read on here that you should ask them what the evidence is for the short award length.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes that's correct, you should ask them what evidence they used for the short award length. Although, i'd advise getting expert advice before doing this because of any risk to your current award and no one can tell you that here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PIPnewbie
    PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Another Poppy? :)

But yes, these award lengths are a joke.

My girlfriend just got awarded for 9 months!  She has had Crohn’s disease since birth, had 4 bowel resections over her life, along with endometriosis, arthritis, and fibromyalgia.  Yes, I’m sure in 9 months all that will be cleared up with some Lemsips and plenty of rest.

Edit: Turns out I just assumed it was 9 months because of the assessor's recommendation on the report, but now she's read her letter it is until June 2020.
  • poppy123456
    PIPnewbie said:

Edit: Turns out I just assumed it was 9 months because of the assessor's recommendation on the report, but now she's read her letter it is until June 2020.
    That will mean a review in June 2019 :o or is June 2020 her review date and the award us until June 2021?  Reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end. If review is June 2019 this means that if her MR fails and most do, if she takes it to Tribunal she could have her review before the Tribunal hearing date because Tribunal waiting times are huge. :|
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • axwy62
    axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    I have come to the conclusion that award lengths are entirely arbitrary and the likelihood of anything changing (for better or worse) during that time is totally irrelevant.
    I have two degenerative and incurable conditions, one genetic and one I've had for 35 years with no improvement whatsoever. With DLA I used to get 5 year awards in case I got worse, with PIP I got enhanced for both components but only got a 3 year award, which implies that they think I'll have improved by then since even if I got worse, I couldn't get a bigger award.
    If they do that again I'm probably going to challenge it.
  • Yadnad
    axwy62 said:
    I have come to the conclusion that award lengths are entirely arbitrary and the likelihood of anything changing (for better or worse) during that time is totally irrelevant.
    I have two degenerative and incurable conditions, one genetic and one I've had for 35 years with no improvement whatsoever. With DLA I used to get 5 year awards in case I got worse, with PIP I got enhanced for both components but only got a 3 year award, which implies that they think I'll have improved by then since even if I got worse, I couldn't get a bigger award.
    But that was DLA and PIP is totally different in the way it is assessed.
    Many have had indefinite High Mobility & Care - DLA for years for degenerative and incurable conditions, yet PIP was refused because no points were awarded. I for one have had that scenario three time in the past 5 years.

• axwy62
    Yadnad said:
    axwy62 said:
    But that was DLA and PIP is totally different in the way it is assessed.
    Many have had indefinite High Mobility & Care - DLA for years for degenerative and incurable conditions, yet PIP was refused because no points were awarded. I for one have had that scenario three time in the past 5 years.

The point is that the award length is supposed to be based upon the likelihood of your condition either improving or getting worse, and it was the same for DLA.

When I was on DLA I wasn't getting the maximum award possible and my condition was expected to get worse, so a 5 year award was reasonable. When I transferred to PIP I did get the maximum award, but only for 3 years, and the justification for the award length was 'a 3 year award is justified' or in plain English, because I said so.

I am now being reassessed and having to jump through all the hoops again even though, as expected, my function has deteriorated. I can't get a better award so there's no benefit to me in going through all this again (and probably having to do it every 3 years indefinitely), there's no benefit to DWP as they're having to spend money assessing me with no chance of my award being reduced, so the only people gaining are the assessment companies who are being paid for entirely pointless re-assessments.

If I'm given a short award again, I am going to challenge it. It's a complete waste of money to keep reassessing me and it's detrimental to my health to keep asking me to focus on all the things I can't do instead of just getting on with managing my condition and my life as best I can. 
  • Rosie1650
    Rosie1650 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Is there any advice on challenging the length of ones award, we too are in the process of MR and possibly going to tribunal, am challenging the length of time, as we are due for a review in July, 
    we have not even got this nightmare sorted, with all the stages and then we will be required start all over again, am even thinking what happens if we are in tribunal process, do we still have to get a review etc etc 
    thanks 
  • Yadnad
    axwy62 said:

The point is that the award length is supposed to be based upon the likelihood of your condition either improving or getting worse, and it was the same for DLA.

When I was on DLA I wasn't getting the maximum award possible and my condition was expected to get worse, so a 5 year award was reasonable. When I transferred to PIP I did get the maximum award, but only for 3 years, and the justification for the award length was 'a 3 year award is justified' or in plain English, because I said so.

I am now being reassessed and having to jump through all the hoops again even though, as expected, my function has deteriorated. I can't get a better award so there's no benefit to me in going through all this again (and probably having to do it every 3 years indefinitely), there's no benefit to DWP as they're having to spend money assessing me with no chance of my award being reduced, so the only people gaining are the assessment companies who are being paid for entirely pointless re-assessments.

If I'm given a short award again, I am going to challenge it. It's a complete waste of money to keep reassessing me and it's detrimental to my health to keep asking me to focus on all the things I can't do instead of just getting on with managing my condition and my life as best I can. 
    One of the main reasons for bringing PIP out was to ensure that regular reassessments take place thus hopefully forcing people off the benefit.
    Unlike DLA where it was quite possible to have had the award for 20+ years with no checks being made in that period. Put it another way, the DWP believe that with DLA many claimants kept quiet about any improvements in their health so as to avoid a reduction in their award.

When I was on DLA (High Mobility & Care) it was an indefinite award. I moved over to PIP in 2013 and was eventually awarded Enhanced Care & Mobility for 3 years. The next time I was reassessed in 2015 I eventually received to same award and length - 3 years. When it came to 2017 it was decided that I didn't fit any of the descriptors so was given 0 points This then disproves your statement that of course there is every chance of a reduction in the award.  
    I questioned the award periods and was told that even though I was previously getting the highest award and there is no chance of any improvement and that I am 70 now, it was more than likely that I would continue to get 3 year awards for the rest of my life.
    For that reason amongst others I decided to not appeal against the 2017 decision as the thought of such reassessments was far too much to contemplate.

So the PIP system does work, in favour of the government, as they are saving over £580 a month in my case by not wanting to have these regular reassessments.

• axwy62
    My comments obviously assumed that the descriptors were applied fairly. If you believed that the award length wasn't reasonable, you could have appealed it.

I know many people were given indefinite awards for DLA, but not nearly such a high proportion as DWP would like everyone to believe. 
  • Yadnad
    axwy62 said:
    My comments obviously assumed that the descriptors were applied fairly. If you believed that the award length wasn't reasonable, you could have appealed it.

I know many people were given indefinite awards for DLA, but not nearly such a high proportion as DWP would like everyone to believe. 
    Back in 2013 and even today and apart from that information coming out on a forum, I have never found any information on any web page that says that you can appeal against the award and/or the length of that award. Most people believe that the length is decided by the DWP and that the claimant has no say in the matter.
  • Wondermum54
    Wondermum54 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    oh goodness- just stumbled onto this thread and am now worried...this is a new world for me...only being ill/disabled since May 17. I had my first PIP face to face in Oct 17 and was awarded the standard for both, awarded until Nov 19.  I mobilise with crutches all the time and have an incurable condition, and use a wheelchair for longer distances.  But I received a renewal pack in Nov 18 and when I queried it I was told it can take a year for the renewal process. I had my face to face assessment last Thursday, and DWP have already got my report...hmm quick that!  And am supposed to have their decision in 6 weeks.

I have deteriorated a lot in the last year, and my disability is now worse/ barely hanging onto my job etc etc. so any reduction in my PIP would see me completely isolated and cut off. 
  • poppy123456
    oh goodness- just stumbled onto this thread and am now worried...this is a new world for me...only being ill/disabled since May 17. I had my first PIP face to face in Oct 17 and was awarded the standard for both, awarded until Nov 19.  I mobilise with crutches all the time and have an incurable condition, and use a wheelchair for longer distances.  But I received a renewal pack in Nov 18 and when I queried it I was told it can take a year for the renewal process. I had my face to face assessment last Thursday, and DWP have already got my report...hmm quick that!  And am supposed to have their decision in 6 weeks.

I have deteriorated a lot in the last year, and my disability is now worse/ barely hanging onto my job etc etc. so any reduction in my PIP would see me completely isolated and cut off. 
    HI,

PIP reviews take place 1 year before the award is due to end and it's always been this way. If the decision doesn't go in your favour then sadly your PIP will end 4 weeks after the decision is made. If it goes in your favour you'll have a new awrd that will replace your existing one.

If you live in the UK you can ring and request a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.
  • Wondermum54
    Wondermum54 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Thank you - I will definitely ask for the report,

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.