Am I disabled according to the social model? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I disabled according to the social model?

Options
crazydaisy
crazydaisy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi!

I came across Scope today.

I was doing a bit of research for my newly resurrected blog, 'Don't dismiss M.E', and I found myself asking the quesion, "How do I know that Iam disabled?". Then I found myself here!

I have ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, celiacs disease and lichen planus, another auto immune condition.

I've been ill for 9 years and have slowly and at times quickly deteriorated in my illness.
Iam currently 100% house/bed bound. Normally, I am in the range between 85-90%. 

Have I answered my question? Am I disabled? The answer is yes and yes! But, mine like so many others is one that is invisible to the world. When I am out and in my wheelchair, people can see me, or not as I've found! There really should be a law about people walking and looking down at their phones as I've had many people almost land on my lap despite my shouts of "four" (golfing term :D )!!

But, what I do not have the answer to is this. If I am housebound and not out and about, then am I still disabled? If our impairements prevent us from accessing the outside world, then can we call ouselves disabled according to the social model?

Answers on a postcard please! ;)

Nice to meet you all. x

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @crazydaisy, and a warm welcome to the the community! Great to have you here.

Really interesting question, and great to hear your thoughts on it. I imagine our community members will have some of their own thoughts and experiences to share too. In the meantime, you may be particularly interested in our invisible impairments discussions!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @crazydaisy welcome to the community!

You make an interesting point and I am sure many members of the community will share their opinions!

I am a wheelchair user and it irritates me how many people don’t look where they are going! What is the true definition for ‘disabled’...got me thinking now
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.