Relationships with carers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Relationships with carers

Options
cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
I have a couple of caregivers who barely look at me and start talking about themselves. This can go on for two or three hours. They seem to think I am there to be, as it were, a sponge.

Either that, or they texting while with me.

Has anyone had this sort of thing happen with carers - if so, how did you handle it? I have asked them to stop talking so much, but I seem to be a stick of furniture to them. Because I am older and disabled, they seem to think I am demented and not worth their while except to do the housework.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh I'm truly sorry to hear this @cracker, what an awful thing for you to have to experience. Have you tried to raise a complaint? Carers UK have some good guidance on doing so, and it'd be interesting to hear others' experiences too.
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you, @Pippo_Scope. I did call the head of the agency today, who said he would act immediately either to speak to the aide or replace her with another.

I will keep you posted as to what happens. If the local agency fails me, I also have an Ombudsman to whom I can turn.

I am interested to hear if others have had this same kind of difficulty with their carers.

Best to you.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    It hasn't happened to me but I have heard about it from others. It seems to depend on how responsive the individual is and the age of the carers, younger ones seem more likely to do this compared to older carers.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.