am I entitled to the IR ESA top up? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

am I entitled to the IR ESA top up?

sleeplessinsanity
sleeplessinsanity Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I am new here and hoping that someone can answer my ramblings that are bound to about to happen... sorry I don’t sleep a lot so can be a little ? at times. But I have some questions about ESA, PIP topups and premiums etc.  Ok here goes...

in february i had to give up my job due to a mental breakdown triggered by a number of different things but the main thing being my 13 year old son (I have 3 boys 13, 14 & 15) but I won’t go in to that on here as that is for a totally different forum! Long story short have fought for Ed psych support at school, finally got it last week ?. School have blantently lied and tried to cover tracks but anyway I’m rambling! ( sorry did warn you it happens ?). 

In June I applied for ESA as I could no longer live on just tax credits. Have just had my assessment yesterday so will find out in 6-8 weeks I’m told of which group if any I will be put in. 

In July I applied for PIP and last week had the news that I am awarded standard daily living and enhanced mobility due to the nature of my depression and panic disorder. 

I have now received a form for severe disability premium which the local government member will help me with when he visits me tomorrow. 

Sorry so I suppose my question is am I entitled to the IR ESA top up?  Sorry should have mentioned my ESA is cont based as I have always worked until this year and what other impact will the PIP award have on anything that may help me.

i have struggled as a single parent for many years but none have been as tough as the last 12 months and now financial difficulties are affecting my already delicate mental health. I just need to know that it is possible that me and my boys will be ok I need to focus fully on supporting my sons and getting well soon can do that but wow sorry rambling ?

i know how I am very lucky to have Pip awarded as I have seen so many horror stories online. I suppose on this occasion I was one of the few lucky ones who didn’t have to fight for it ??

Chin up those who are waiting it is possible to get a good news story when applying for PIP ?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sleeplessinsanity, and a warm welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Hopefully some of our community members will be in touch and able to advise about your ESA. In the meantime, you may be interested in this list of extra money and help PIP entitles you to.

It may also be worth getting in touch with Gingerbread, a charity that offers help for single parents, to see if there's anything they can do to support you. Please do keep in touch and let us know how you're doing!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

As you're a single parent with just your dependent children living with you then you're classed as living alone for SDP purposes, so the answer is yes you'll be entitled to this premium. It will be backdated to the start of your PIP claim (so when you first applied)

Great news on the PIP by the way and goodluck with the ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sleeplessinsanity
    sleeplessinsanity Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for your replies to the ramblings of a mad woman ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.