Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

How can we voice opinions on consulting in local authorities?

SystemSystem Posts: 469 Scope community team
edited October 2018 in Disabled people
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is Rose_Cottage_24!.


  • Rose_Cottage_24Rose_Cottage_24 Member Posts: 26 Listener
    Feeling better now, but several teeth had broken and needed surgery.
    I like to know how we can voice opinions on consulting with local authorities? It seems they can't always find suitable people.
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rose_Cottage_24
    Im not sure whether all councils have this, but my local council has an equality network, including hubs for lots of different groups including
    • Age Hub (intergenerational)
    • BAMER Hub (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic, Refugee)
    • Carers' Hub
    • Disability Hub (all impairments)
    • LGBT+ Hub (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, other sexual orientations and gender identities)
    • Religion/Belief/No Belief Hub (includes no religious belief)
    • Women's Hub
    You can register for free to join these hubs and get to share your experiences and consult with the local authority.

    It may be worth you seeing if there is something similar within your local authority?
    Senior online community officer
  • Rose_Cottage_24Rose_Cottage_24 Member Posts: 26 Listener
    Many thanks, do you find it difficult with your Power Chair.  I have a Roma Marbella quite a bumpy ride with air tyres.
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rose_Cottage_24
    I don't use a power chair but these meetings take place in accessible buildings.
    Senior online community officer
  • Rose_Cottage_24Rose_Cottage_24 Member Posts: 26 Listener
  • GeoarkGeoark Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,276 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rose_Cottage_24

    There are normally a number of ways to get involved in council consultations. From groups like those mentioned by @Sam_Scope, Community Councils (may be known by a different name), special councils set up by the council, or local residents for groups like leaseholders and tenants. Your council should also have a website listing current and possible future consultations, which you can respond to directly.

    With regards to things like dropped kerbs and pavements it may be worth seeing if you live in an area with a community group helping to shape development in your area. 

    You might also find it useful to go along to one of your councillor's surgeries to discuss your concerns, as they should be aware of what is availble locally for you to get involved with. They are usually keen to engage with those who want to get involved with local consultations.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Rose_Cottage_24Rose_Cottage_24 Member Posts: 26 Listener
    Bath and North East Somerset were finding it difficult getting the right consultation.  I was told one area looked alright, but that's not the same as going over the area in a Power Chair.  A lot of council officers aren't disabled.  In Keysham, one councillor fell down some steps of a new development.
Sign in or join us to comment.