ESA and learners loan — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and learners loan

jh8751
jh8751 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi

Just wondered if you could give me some advice. 

I have been on contribution based ESA in the support group for several years now (was incapacity benefit) although I’m still trying to manage my condition I was looking into a college course. This is 2 hours a week but would also mean I would need to volunteer 12 hours a week. At this moment I’m not sure if I’m capable but would like to try. However to do this course I would need a student loan. 

I have phoned the benefits agency and they said I can do the course but if I get any kind of student loan it can effect my benefits?

I don’t want to start the course and lose all my benefits. And then not be able to cope with the course due to my health. 

Are you able to provide any advice on this? 

Thank you 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jh8751,

Best of luck with your course! What will you be studying?

The following information is from the gov.uk site: 
    You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.
    You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance. You will not need to repay DSAs.
    If you’re a part-time student your ‘course intensity’ can affect how much you get.
    It seems as though student loans should not affect benefits, although hopefully some of our other members will be able to clarify this.
  • jh8751
    jh8751 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thanks for your reply. I would like to do a teaching assistant course. However the course is only 2 hours a week but I’d need to volunteer for 12 hours. I was it give it a try but concerned it may stop my benefits by getting a learners loan or doing the hours?  I may not even be able to cope with it. I just want to try as don’t want to be on benefits forever. X
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Student loan affect means tested benefits and are counted as income, this means they reduced any means tested benefits you claim. You will also need to get permission to volunteer for those 12 hours per week from DWP, even if it is part of the course.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.