electric wheelchair recommendations — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

electric wheelchair recommendations

Options
lisaguu
lisaguu Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I want to buy a electric wheelchair.

I check one on ELECYCLES(https://www.elecycles.com/free-shipping-folding-electric-power-wheelchair.html)

Foldable and weighing only 59 lbs. When folding, it is easy to put in a car trunk for its small size.

Does anyone use this model before? any suggestion?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Independent Living Centres, mobility centres and community groups may offer advice about equipment and in some cases local wheelchair hire schemes. Search for your local disability advice centre.

Disability equipment exhibitions are a good way to look at lots of products on the same day. You will be able to try them out and talk to suppliers about what you need:If you need impartial advice on wheelchairs, you can call Disabled Living Foundation's helpline on 0300 999 0004 (Monday to Friday, 10 am to 4 pm).
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    I advise checking it can be lifted easily. I have a transportable chair, lightweight supposedly. 

Spoiler. It weighs a tonne. Can hardly lift it. 

It depends on upper body strength, if you always have someone with you to help etc.

Also think about your condition, some chairs are very uncomfortable, so can't be used for that long without getting sore bum or back! 
    Sarah
  • siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    Options
    I would check it can definitely be folded. I have a quickie modular which says it folds but the batteries weigh a ton and I would have to dismantle the battery cases and kerb climber to fold it. If it does fold up I would make sure it isn't going to get battered by every day use... such as in shopping centres which are flat hut often have metal door thresholds which can be like a kerb to get over. I would visit a shop or ask them to come to your home to do a free demonstration so you know it's the right chair for you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.