More than a little disappointed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

More than a little disappointed

Topkitten
Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
edited October 2018 in Transport and travel
Having finally had a good reply from the DWP regarding my PIP assessment I thought I would look through the information regarding a new Motability vehicle, which they sent me and then went online to check current prices. My current car is a larger version of the Renault MPV and, with the added cost of having a hoist fitted, meant I had to find around £1,000 upfront cost last time. Due to the slowness of the PIP decision I have extended the lease by 6 months but wanted to have some idea of what I was looking at.

When I checked the prices I was shocked and can only assume car prices have risen sharply because the Renault equivalent will cost at least £1,250 (at the cheap end) plus at least £200 for the hoist and fitting (probably more than that now) I. As I scanned the pages the prices just kept going up. Ford, Vauxhall and Kia were all about £50 higher with Mercedes and BMW only £150 more and VW a £100 higher still. I then had the idea that, with a bit of luck I might find an over-sized SUV instead but that only reduced it by £100 and is likely to make things difficult anyway. I really do not want to spend that much on a car I will likely not be able to use much but without it I would be completely stuck. Especially as it will be very difficult to trawl around finding the right one in my current condition.

Fortunately I have managed to get a 6 month extension on my current lease but this just gives me more time to worry really and I guess that the most sensible decision would be to can the whole idea and just hope that assuming I move into wheelchair accessible accommodation it will be close enough to handle with my mobility scooter. The only problem with that idea though is that the scooter isn't particularly robust and weather proof as it is designed to fold down small enough to fit most car boots.

I need to go huddle somewhere and give this whole idea some thought I think. I shall also have to consider buying my Renault and running it myself but that would depend on second-hand car prices and I have no idea what that might cost plus the complications with tax, MOT and insurance which I have had to handle for years. Must put the thinking cap on..

TK
"I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    I really feel for you and the tunnel your going through.
    Try to stay calm while your working things out.

I gave up on my car. I took 2 assessments, then they told me im too disabled to drive. 
    They said it would cost £22.000 to adapt the car so i could drive it. Plus the cost of the car. 

And able boded people get jealous of us driving and go on about getting free car. Free tax. Free parking shows ignorant people are
    Fingers crossed
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Im sorry to hear you are going through this stress @Topkitten

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Misscleo, I understand the "free car" comments and the upset they cause, I even had a judge accuse me of just wanting a free car at an appeal I had to sit through.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.