Work are trying to terminate my contract after an accident — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work are trying to terminate my contract after an accident

simon_cut
simon_cut Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited October 2018 in Work and employment
HI my work are trying to get rid of me on medical capability i used to be a driver had a accident damaged the nerves in my left leg and have developed severe arthritis in my knees cant walk have to use a wheelchair any more than about 10 yards. I have been working in the office on a temporary role for over 3 years but now they are saying my contract is as a driver and as i cant do that they are going to terminate my contract as i cant drive . seems very unfair has anyone else had anything like this happen to them ? Thanks Simon

Comments

• simon_cut
    HI my work are trying to get rid of me on medical capability i used to be a driver had a accident damaged the nerves in my left leg and have developed severe arthritis in my knees cant walk have to use a wheelchair any more than about 10 yards. I have been working in the office on a temporary role for over 3 years but now they are saying my contract is as a driver and as i cant do that they are going to terminate my contract as i cant drive . seems very unfair has anyone else had anything like this happen to them ? Thanks Simon
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    It's very unusual for discrimination to happen after 3 years. Also, it wasn't a temporary role if it has been going that long.
    Not fit to perform a job that you haven't done for 3 years? What a load of rubbish.
    I suggest that you talk to ACAS.
  • simon_cut
    They keep saying it was a made up role and now there is no role for me and the business cant keep me . i feel they are doing now after 3 years because you only get 3 years to put a claim in as the initial accident happened at work  
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @simon_cut welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear what has happened. I lost my job because I was no longer fit for the role of a Saes Assistant. They did refer me to have a medical which I did go to. Report came back saying that I am no longer fit for the role, there were options to have reasonable adjustments put in place but they chose against this. I am partially deaf, have lost my central vision and considering this place accepts any disabilities it left me furious and upset.

It is unfair, do you have a contract for your temporary role?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • simon_cut
    hi thanks for your reply.  No i dont i am still on the contract as a driver even tho i haven't done it for over 3 years there have been roles available but they are upstairs and cant get up there as no access with a wheelchair again seems so unfair 

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Their arguments simply do not stand up to logic.
    Who else has been told they will be terminated because the business "can't keep" them?
    A civil court claim for injury damages would be 3 years, not this.This threat on your employment is at day zero.
    Call ACAS straight away.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.