I need a carer - dont know where to go for support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need a carer - dont know where to go for support

unicornqueens
unicornqueens Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hiya, I'm banging my head against a wall at the moment. Social worker came out to access me for a carer (on a good day) n told me I don't need any help. I've just spent 5 days in bed struggling with no help. I don't know what to do or where to go for support 

Comments

• angel137
    angel137 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Hi unicornqueens.  
    Sorry to hear about your situation.  
    When you are assessed by your local council, you have to meet certain eligibility criteria to get social care (free). If you don't meet that criteria, then they should have provided you with a range of booklets and information about care and support services in your area,  including from the charitable and voluntary sectors. If you haven't been provided with this, then you should contact your local council, or the assessor, and get this information sent to you. You can then contact the charitable/voluntary groups for advice and information. If you are able to pay for help,  there should be a list of service providers included in the information pack.

Try to get friends or family to help you set this in motion, if possible. You obviously need more help with your day to day life and care. 
    Hang in there. I know it is challenging sometimes but help is out there. Just a question of finding and organizing it. 
    Take care. 

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @unicornqueens
    I am sorry to hear you are having such a tough time.
    To be eligible for support through social care, you need to meet the following 3 conditions: 

1) The adult's needs arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness.

2) As a result of the needs, the adult is unable to achieve 2 or more of the following:
    • managing and maintaining nutrition
    • maintaining personal hygiene
    • managing toilet needs
    • being appropriately clothed
    • maintaining a habitable home environment
    • being able to make use of the home safely
    • developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
    • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
    • making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services
    • carrying out any caring responsibilities the adult has for a child

3) As a consequence, there is or is likely to be a significant impact on the adult’s wellbeing, including the following:
    • personal dignity (including treatment of the individual with respect)
    • physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
    • protection from abuse and neglect
    • control by the individual over day-to-day life (including over care and support provided and the way it is provided)
    • participation in work, education, training or recreation
    • social and economic wellbeing
    • domestic, family and personal relationships
    • suitability of living accommodation
    • the individual’s contribution to society
    If you would like to complain, there are 6 golden rules:
    • Be clear what the problem is and that you are making a formal complaint.
    • Ask for their help in solving the problem - most people at least try to help if asked.
    • Stick to the point; don’t let it turn into a rant.
    • Keep your tone calm and don’t be rude; even if they have been very rude or off-hand with you. Having the ‘moral high ground’ can be very helpful.
    • Be clear what you want to happen as a result of your complaint.
    • Ask them not to make the change you are complaining about until your complaint has been dealt with. Say why it will be a problem if they go ahead without waiting.

For these reasons, we advise you to complain in writing if you can. Once you have written your complaint, you can either post or email it. If you post it, use 'signed for' (recorded) delivery, if possible.

How to write a complaint letter 

Before you send your complaint letter

Ask a friend or family member to read it through. If you're getting help from an advice worker or advocate they can help you with this. They can help check that you have included everything and explained things clearly.

Keep copies of everything

• Keep all the letters you receive, copies of those you send and any evidence you have sent to support your complaint.
    • Store them safely in date order in a folder or ring binder. It will make it easier if you have everything together to show your adviser or solicitor if you need to take things further.
    There is more information on the Social Care page here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.