Accessible places — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Accessible places

Yollypop
Yollypop Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I find myself in a bit of a quandary and starting to get upset. About twice a month I would go to Shopmobility in Leigh and spend a few hours going around the shops, meeting friends for coffee. It was always a time that I looked forward to. Anyway because of money, shopmobility was closed down by the council. Which stopped me and I'm sure an awful lot of people having that bit of independence. I shop at Morrisons, because the mobility scooters always work. I do not shop at Asda because the scooters never work or breakdown halfway around the shop. ( I am getting to the point). Morrisons are not allowed anymore to plug their scooters in, because head office has told them to stop. They are not allowed to plug them in during the day or in the evening which means they are never powered up. Now I cannot go to Morrisons and shop. I think it is terrible how these things are allowed to happen. I have spoken to 3 managers about this and they just say it's head office. They offer to do your shopping, they offer to take it home for you. They have no idea what it is like to have your independence taken from you. I feel I am becoming a grumpy old woman, but I am fed up!

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @yollpop,hello and welcome, it’s a bit of a lame excuse blaming head office for not allowing their shop provided scooters to be charged overnight or during the daytime, I expect it to do with safety as there could be a fire hazard or something else. Getting s staff member to check and monitor the charging process could be the issue our local store doesn’t have loan scooters.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    All this talk about safety is really getting to me.  OK there may have been a very few cases of electrical faults while charging, but how on earth does that compare with fires in kitchen equipment or electric blankets for instance? The fire in Grenfell Tower wasn't caused by a bl00dy mobility scooter being charged was it?  Our society is being overrun by so-called health and safety inspectors and management who are too frightened for their own jobs to actually make a common-sense decision.  There is always a degree of risk no matter what we do.  It's called life.    GRRRR!!  Rant over.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• clp
    clp Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    Our Morrisons have them near the customer service desk  and still charge them.  The same at Tesco's.  Personally I would take a list go to customer services - I find the queue disappears when you start to collapse - hand it over and say you'll stay there until someone gets everything on the list as the scooters are no longer useable.  What an absolute waste of money on their part and poor treatment of their disabled customers.  Perhaps your local paper will do an article and shame them into changing their mind.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.