Social services experience — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social services experience

angie610m
angie610m Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
Hi,  I have been having issues with social care.

I had to put a complaint in with the line manager, as my social worker has lied, been rude, made me cry and used my disability against me.

I am 35, with hypermobility Syndrome, fibromyalgia, pcos, asthma, depression.  I am an online student and have quite a good memory.  At times I forget where I have put my keys, but things said, and past I remember.

My social worker was supposed to have given me some telephone numbers for cleaners and things.  And done some other things I asked her to do.  I’ve left it a couple of weeks, tried to contact her numerous times and ignored.  When I phone the office, she rings me straight back (I imagine to stop her from getting in trouble for her lack of contact with me).  Then states she has given me said numbers or she says she don’t remember that conversation with me, when I do.  If she had given me the numbers they would have been written down.  However, twice now she has said, “well you have Fibro so that’s deterring your memory.” 

Nothing wrong with my memory.  I have had loads on, and appreciate she has too, and at times people may have got mixed up with who they spoke to, which could have happened here as she is insistent that she had told me and that the other things I’ve made up.

Her line manager rang me today and she said she wants to sort this as quick as possible, has she is on holiday next week.  Although she did comment that this is the first incident against my social worker and no one else has called. Others are probably too scared to.  And hope many others has she treated like this?

I am furious.  Imagine this is your elderly relative being spoken to like this, and then being classed as old and losing their marbles.  How are social workers getting away with this?

she has come across the wrong person to mess with as if I have to I will take matters further.

Anyone else in same position? Anyone else had same or similar experience?

I may be physically disabled but not insane, or my mind has not gone.

Help if you can please?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this with us @angie610m, and I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experiences. I can see how that would make you feel so frustrated, and it's good to hear that you've been proactive and taken it up with their line manager.

Do let us know how you get on, and if we can be of any assistance, just let us know. 
  • angie610m
    @Pippa_Scope thank you.  I will update, they have responded. But have done via PDF and I cannot open it.  I have requested a letter print out.  Do not know if this will be sent out before the line manager goes away.  Yet, once again ignoring my needs.  
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    They say this stuff so that at meeting they can say help was offered but you didn't accept it, this makes you look bad and not them. I hate SS, it's rare you get what you need from them. Good luck.
  • angie610m
    It is so wrong, thank you.  I can believe it. Although I will not be treated with disrespect from them. Or anyone in that matter. They should not be in that line of work if that’s how they speak.  Well im not crazy, I know my mind and Im independent, none of which will be taken away from me.   I also believe they dont know how to handle someone who is well mannered, educated and knows their rights.  If they were in my position they’d be as furious as I am.  One thing I will not do is lose my cool, im more respectfuland know they could do worse if I did.  I think this is what they are waiting for.

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    I am mentally ill too, it does affect my cognitive abilities but i'm also not stupid.

They are trained to handle us a certain way but because they hold the 'higher position of power' and automatically presume everyone needing them is useless they abuse us. They escalated my CPTSD also, horrible experience and i will never willingly be involved with them again.

Even if you do get angry with them explain at meetings why, that's what i used to do. The only time social workers were civil with us and we got listened to was at those meetings. They even brough up that i never held the kids while they visited, i said why would i be cuddling my kids while arguing with the SW? I got to a point where i didn't care because nothing they did or said made sense.
  • angie610m
    Im sorry about that.  See I know people who are mentaly unstable, but, only because their poorly treatment.  I want to be a writing therapist and want to help others.  Thats quite shocking to hear, as a student (and know social workers personally), its not in their nature to speak like so.  I dont believe that anyone has authoritive over anyone.  I have heldback and wont be giving the power they want.  Maybe the reason why they are doing this to me as they probably do not like that I wont give them that power.  They want £85 per week off me for 3 hours. When I need my money for other things, and will not help me.  And generally put people into a category, this has been my long ongoing issue with SS ad I believe; 1) assessments are outdated, 2) they expect everyone to be under them, 3) they expect all names on their file to shut up, put up and do what they want you to do.

I wont give up, and hope to assist with some sort of change.

If the world heard what these do, then they would never use them or put their faith into them.

I have said in the past even those that are completely unable and covered in their own body fluids daily, do not need this treatment and I would like to expose the ill treatments they make.
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Then get it out into the media. That  is one way to let people know how it is in those services: they be embarrassed into acting. Sad to say it takes something like that especially with out current administration. 
    We are useless economy and therefor don't deserve decent lives and decent treatment.

I don't know how old you are, but I find that the older I get, the less I matter not only to the government, but to people in general.

You're not alone here. We will help if we can. Good to have you join us.
  • angie610m
    @cracker  i am 35. i have some ideas and thank you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.