If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Help with moving from nursing home

johnwjohnw Posts: 6Member Listener

My name is John I have cp

I'm moving from.a nursing home soon and I'm in need. For .help  to get chairs .and white goods I'm in Widnes 

Do anyone .Know do scope help with some sort of help with a  Grant or any thing.pleade    


  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 3,724Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
    Hello @johnw Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I do not know. I would contact the SCOPE help line 0808 800 3333.

    Have you spoken to your local housing office in your council.  They often have lines of support and do know might be worth helping and advising you.

    Something to consider.

    When I moved here to my present home. Contacted my mental health charity I was a client of and they helped with getting me support to move.

    Had to pay out of my benefit for fees for moving  Plus had people helping me.. Worth finding out if you are in a mental health charity.

    We are a friendly, supportive community. Care and share.

    Please ask if we can help and advise some one will know.

    Take care

  • topshoestopshoes Posts: 443Member Chatterbox
    edited November 2018
    Hi @welcome are you on facebook as there is a site on there which you can ask what your in need  of and people will come forward and give  free,i give loads of things on there in excellent condition as im downsizing can give you name of it if you like
  • johnwjohnw Posts: 6Member Listener
    I'm not with no charity organisation at this moment

    And I'm.cant pay for items what I will need like a TV and chair ect 
  • johnwjohnw Posts: 6Member Listener
    Please give me the name of the Facebook page please 
  • johnwjohnw Posts: 6Member Listener
    I'm been advised to phone turn of  us there have a database of charity organisations who can help users 
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,858Member Brian Blessed
    edited November 2018
    Hi @johnw, and a warm welcome to the community!

    Glad to see you've had some advice already. You may also find this online grants search helpful. Please do let us know if we can be of further assistance.
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Posts: 3,821Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
    Hi @johnw welcome to the community! :)
    You're a fighter. Look at everything you've overcome. Don't give up now!
  • topshoestopshoes Posts: 443Member Chatterbox
    edited November 2018
    just looking them up  what area are you in say like kent 
  • topshoestopshoes Posts: 443Member Chatterbox
    edited November 2018
    if you go on there put in things for free and some should come up 
  • topshoestopshoes Posts: 443Member Chatterbox
    edited November 2018
    these are not on facebook , its called free stuff in the uk, , if you put in where can i get things for free a long list will come up what you can go on ,  hope this helps 
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,858Member Brian Blessed
    Hi @johnw, it may also be worth looking into Disabled Facilities Grants. These appear to be more for specialist adaptations than general household items, but may be worth a read if you feel you would benefit from it.


    You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:
    • widen doors and install ramps
    • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
    • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
    • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
    A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.
  • johnwjohnw Posts: 6Member Listener
    topshoes said:
    just looking them up  what area are you in say like kent 

    I live in Widnes in Cheshire 

  • johnwjohnw Posts: 6Member Listener
    Ami2301 said:
    Hi @johnw welcome to the community! :)

    Thank you

  • topshoestopshoes Posts: 443Member Chatterbox
    Hi @johnw i have put on two and three posts up from your last message to me , what to put in on facebook and what you can get on hope this helps 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 8,181Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
    A disabled facilities grant is for help to make your life easier around your home, such as wet rooms, walk in showers, stair lifts etc. It doesn't cover the costs of furnishing a home unfortunately.

    I agree with the facebook advice. For this you'll have to search it for your area because all areas have different groups. Gumtree is another place to look, as there's very often free sites on there but again you'll need to look for your area, rather than just a search for the free sites itself.
Sign in or join us to comment.