Why — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why

Janr4466
Janr4466 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi  I lost my job in September due to provider failure(i work in a home) (care) i am on  pip, not a problem. I have been forced to get a job again. I have been told by dwp that i can not get disability component of universal credit as that does not happen anymore  So whete does work   PAY.. I use to get this on working tax credit. And have not had a payment from universal credit yet have been told dec th7 . That will be 8 weeks with no money only pip. I was offered a food bank. After working 47 years and nener without a job  this is justice  I think not. When i asked to go on supported universal credit i was told it told it takes time and i would have to go to see a doctor and be assessed have been assessed for pip. Where do i go from here. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Are you fit for work or not? If you're not and you've paid enough National Insurance contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you can claim New Style Contributions based ESA but you'll need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this. Evidence will be needed to support your claim and a face to face assessment is most likely as most have them.

If you are fit for work and looking for work then it's New style contributions based JSA that you need to claim.

The disability element of UC is the LCWRA part and to claim this yes you'll need fit notes from your GP. Evidence is needed and a face to face assessment is also most likely, just like ESA.

Claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to either ESA or UC.

Do you rent your home or is it a mortgage?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Janr4466 sorry to hear what has happened, I am unsure how to advise however members of our community will be more than happy to get in contact with you soon to offer advice and support :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Janr4466
    I have had to get a job because i could not live on £73 per week. So i had to find one quick. And i have a mortgage and u c would not help until i had neen out of work 9 months. In that time would have lost my home. And then you get a loan off uc. My gp stated that she did not know how i went to work. And i get high rate mobility so that says something but know not enough it seems. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to either ESA or LCWRA under UC. You still have to go through the same process as everyone else. ESA assessment rate is £73.10 per week for everyone aged 25 and over, if you were placed into the Support Group for ESA then your money will increase to £110.75 per week, so it's certainly not a fortune by any means.

Having a mortgage the waiting time for the loan is 9 months and you have to be claiming a means tested benefit to be able to qualify for this. It's a standard waiting time for everyone.

Do you live alone or with a partner that works?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Janr4466
    Alone. I just find so very hard. And have been told it could take months to get sorted for support on uc. What is it coming to when you loss your job. And the only thing i can get is food bank vouchers .. So it seems to me that if they are offering food bank vouchers then they know the moneys to low. What is this country coming too
  • Janr4466
    And what is lcwra
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Limited capability for work and work-related activity (LCWRA)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Janr4466 said:
    And what is lcwra
    Limited Capacity for Work and work Related Activity
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Glen76
    Glen76 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    The LCWRA is related to ESA, so to get it you have to be deemed not fit to work, so you will need to upload sick notes and then complete a UC50 form when they send it out. Regarding the mortgage payments see the link as it is now a loan which needs to be repaid if you sell your house under universal credit  https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit-housing-costs-tenants/How-much-will-I-get-I-m-a-homeowner

• Janr4466
    Thank you everyone 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.