I felt I had lost my identity and personality - Any motivation tips? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I felt I had lost my identity and personality - Any motivation tips?

DebbieH
DebbieH Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi. I have multiple conditions but the most disabling of these are spinal stenosis and fibromyalgia. I live alone in Devon in a sheltered flat which I love. My partner moved away to be nearer his family. We still have a relationship. I have a grown up son and daughter that I adore. I used to be very active, playing tennis and badminton and swimming regularly. I was known for my high heeled shoes and big handbags. Having to give all that up I felt like I had lost my identity and personality. I have finally come to accept these restrictions but I find it hard to find any motivation on a daily basis. I sit for far too much of the day, telling myself I'll get up in a minute and do this or that!  I'd like to hear everyone's journey and any motivational tips. Thank you for reading x

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DebbieH welcome to the community!

Coming to terms with having a disability can be a long and difficult process. It took me a long time to accept my disabilities. I tell myself "This is me now, I can't change it but I can change the present and future. I want to make the best and have the best life as possible."

I have spent far too much time wallowing in self-pity which is normal, but it got me nowhere. I've started to push myself, in ways that I never thought I would and I'm excited to see where it takes me. :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    I have done this, too. And yes, I do believe a disability does indeed change our personality. We become different people with limitations , people who cannot live as they did. Our goals  become different, perhaps we lose friends and the old motivations are no longer possible. 

I struggle with this a lot. My abilities and activities were very much part of my identity. I loved the things I could do. That was taken from me. Adjusting to a new life takes time, I am told, but I, too, find many empty spaces where I used to find joy.

I have read so many times that we must concentrate on what we can do, rather than on that which we cannot do. I have not yet found anything to replace the old, much-mourned life I had.

I guess we all must work this through, though a friend with disability tells me we go through the cycle of mourning, non-acceptance and anger again and again.

May we come to peace with what is. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.