Speech to text? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Speech to text?

Janaj
Janaj Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Is there anyone out there that can recommend a speech to text app/programme. My 7 year old struggles to write with his left hand, but the ones we have tried do not interpret his speech correctly? Thanks

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Janaj welcome to the community! Do you or your son currently have a device which has the microphone option next to the space bar on the keypad?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Janaj, and a warm welcome to the community! I've moved this post into our assistive tech discussions, where hopefully our members will be able to help.
  • Andy_Scope
    Andy_Scope Scope Posts: 47 Courageous
    hi @Janaj
    If you can give me an idea about the technology that you and our son would like to work on then I might be able to be more specific as some solutions are available for Windows on a PC but not on Apple or Android. 
    Also what have you tried already?
    Sorry to start with more questions than answers but it'll save me suggesting things that have not worked.
    Thanks
    Andy
  • Janaj
    Hi Andy,
    we have tried Siri on the IPad . He struggles to use his right hand/ arm so is trying to write with his left hand, but it's difficult to read. He is practicing touch typing and tried Swiftkeys but didn't like it, the onscreen keyboard on his iPad also causes problems because the keys are not raised. He is only 7 so hopefully his left hand dexterity will improve as he matures. So we thought to help with his recording in school we would find a speech to text app (he has his own ipad) but Siri can't distinguish all his words.
  • Andy_Scope
    Hi @Janaj
    It might be worth trying out Evernote or Dragon Anywhere.
    Dragon make software that runs on the PC as well as the iPad and its reasonably good at transcribing out of the box. I have not tested the iPad version but if its as good as the newest PC version your son may be able to get it working to suit his voice as you can train it to recognise the users voice.
    I cannot comment on Evernote as I have not used that at all but as a free app its worth trying out with no cost risk.
    Its worth bearing in mind that the thing that can make a difference with any of these text to speech products is the microphone so that element can make a difference and a Bluetooth headset with mic could be an option for dictation.
    Along side this, has your son got an EHCP to provide help him with in class?
    Andy    

• Janaj
    Thanks Andy, will definitely look at these. Yes he does have support at the moment but we would like to reduce this if we can, he is fairly independent it is the fine motor issue and grip of his right hand that cause the problem.
  • Andy_Scope
    Let me know how you get on and I'm pleased that he's getting support. Only reason I asked was in case he was not getting help but needed some.

• Andy_Scope
    I forgot that there’s a part 2 on what you asked, you can connect the iPad to a Bluetooth keyboard which will give your son proper keys to use rather than the touch screen. There are all kinds of Bluetooth keyboards available a look round amazon will give you some ideas. I’d think about keeping it small as some units are designed for adults with bigger hands.
  • Janaj
    Thanks Andy you have been really helpful.
  • janpiper
    janpiper Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi. My daughter has just turned 11 yr 6.  My daughter struggles to write and we use Dragon.  She found it really hard to begin with and can be frustrating but it gets better the more you use it.  Your school will need to provide trading to teachers in order for you to really get the most out of it.  Also the software is tuned to your voice so when your child changes school you can download everything to a memory stick and take all the progress with you.  My daughter also uses a scribe.
  • janpiper
    janpiper Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Provide training that should read!
  • Janaj
    Thanks we are going to try it so will persevere. ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.