Other people's experiences of unsuccessful ESA claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Other people's experiences of unsuccessful ESA claim?

Debbiewalsh
Debbiewalsh Community member Posts: 2 Listener
looking for advice about recent ESA Claim being denied.  Last month I was awarded PIP after being 'in' DLA.... so how the DWP can now turn me down when I've been claiming this for so many years is beyond me ?
I have disabling chronic back pain and having to fight this once again  as I have been to tribunal twice in the past is beyond my capabilities... I simply feel I haven't the strength to keep having to fighting them for it... it drains me ?grateful to hear of other people's experiences please and any advice would be so very much appreciated! 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Debbiewalsh

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current situation!!!!!

Both PIP & ESA are separate Benefits.

ESA: is a Benefit if you are “unable to work”

PIP: has two parts.

1. Daily Living Component, for people who need help in everyday life.

2. Mobility Component, for people who can’t get around.

I do hope that this is helpful?????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Debbiewalsh, and a warm welcome to the community! 

So sorry to hear about your unsuccessful ESA claim, that must have been really disappointing to hear. Are you appealing the decision? If so, Scope's guidance on DWP appeals may help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You PIP award will have no relevance on your ESA claim because they're different benefits.

As you most likely already know you now have 28 days to request the MR. Were you previously in a group for ESA or on assessment rate? If you were in a group it will be worth knowing the reasons you were placed into that group so you can concentrate on those for your MR/Tribunal. ESA descriptors for both groups can be found online.

Were you claiming Income Related or Contributions based ESA? If it was Income Related as you've been found fit for work, if your area is a full Universal credit area then you won't be able to claim JSA with an extended period of sickness while you wait for the MR decision. You'll have to claim UC instead. If you claim UC then you won't be able to go back onto ESA. Check what's in your area here.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.