Work and ESA issues getting me down — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work and ESA issues getting me down

Options
murff
murff Community member Posts: 6 Connected
I have been ill for some time, coping and trying to carry on with emphysema,  i have 20% lung capacity and have been told i have end stage emphysema COPD,  i am on oxygen 16 hours a day and have to use a mobile oxygen for when i walk at work, i was off sick last year for 7 months, i tried to claim contributory ESA but told there was no such thing anymore as i lived in a universal credit area , so i appied for that and after being told i was not entitled to benefits because my partner earns 'too' much i felt forced back to work i have been back now for 8 months and im getting vibes from my employer about my role as to whether i can continue and have a meeting with HR next week,  i get PIP,  and the higher aspect of mobility,  but i feel that if work finished me i would be struggling my partner does earn above average but we still have bills like everyone else , i have paid into the system since i have been 15/16 years old, when i actually went for  a meeting at the job centre the interviewer made me feel like i was trying to claim somthing i was not entitled to,  when i went for a lung function test the consultant asked me if i worked, (as i was in my uniform,  i am a nurse assistant), and i said yes  she told me i must be 'clearly mad in the head' my respiratory nurses also are   shocked that i work, but as i said iv been told that i am not entitled to anything ive worked all my life , for what, nothing only to be struggling on, and a miserable life, can someone help me and explain to me why i am not entitled to anything,   thanks in advance x

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @murff Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry what has happened.

Have a look at our on line benefit checker .  Its a handy tool which should be able to give you some idea of what benefits you entitled to.

You can also find out more information about benefits on our website

Have you spoken to CAB they have a lot of knowledge and expertise on benefits.

They can and could do a benefit check. Something to consider.  Including anything else you need further advice and information.

We also have a lot of useful information about reasonable adjustments in the work place.  On our website.  Which you might find helpful.

We are a friendly, supportive community. Care and share. Please ask if we can advise on anything some one will know.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • murff
    Options
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @murff
    @thespiceman has given some great thoughts here, do try the benefits calculator to see if you could be entitled to anything else.
    We do hear from a lot of people that due to their partners wage, they feel trapped and it is really tough.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

This is situation confuses most people when their area is a full Universal credit area. What you need to claim is New Style Contributions based ESA and not the old Contributions based ESA. Same benefit, different name with a different phone number to claim.

Having said this, as you're working then SSP is payable for 28 weeks before being able to claim New style Contributions based ESA. Once you've claimed the SSP then your employer will give you the SSP1 form, which you'll need to be able to claim the ESA. See both links for information.

Scroll down this link her to where is say "how to claim New Style ESA. Phone numbers included in the link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • murff
    Options
    Oh thank you so much  that's the first time iv ever been told anything about it 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem. DWP have very little training for UC and new style contributions based ESA and so many people get confused by the difference and what to do to claim it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.