Incapacity ben to ESA contribution based form and savings — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Incapacity ben to ESA contribution based form and savings

Options
curliwhirli
curliwhirli Community member Posts: 3 Connected
I have been lucky enough to have received the ESA3 form saying they want to look back to Nov 2011 as i could be in wrong group and have money owing to me,
My question is, back at the beginning of my claim i had no savings and little going through my bank account, But since about 2/3 years ago, my sons DLA/PIP now goes into my account, as well as my own PIP and ESA, so since about 2016 i now have £6500 in my accounts. a mix of his and my benefits. Does that mean because i now have savings they wont repay what was rightfully mine back before 2016? or will they take into account i have my sons benefits paid in my account now (he has brain damage and cant use own bank account) and still pay,

Also it says savings under £16000, then somewhere else savings of £5,500..?

Im confused. T

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You get any money owed. Having your son's money paid into your own account could and may cause you difficulty having to prove that it's not all your money but part of its your son's. Maybe if a separate account in your son's name where you are the power of attorney to the account because of your sonss disability maybe needed have a word with your bankforb advice on which way to go. Keep posting.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wilko said:
    You get any money owed. Having your son's money paid into your own account could and may cause you difficulty having to prove that it's not all your money but part of its your son's. Maybe if a separate account in your son's name where you are the power of attorney to the account because of your sonss disability maybe needed have a word with your bankforb advice on which way to go. Keep posting.
    This is not correct. If a person is the appointee of someone claiming benefits then that persons benefit money goes into the account of the appointee. I'm my daughters appointee, she has her own bank account. Her PIP money gets paid to me, i transfer it to her bank. It's not my money, DWP disregard it because it's her money.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Are you your son's appointee? If so then the money you have for your son will be disregarded when working out any savings/capitol. The only issue i can see with this is working out how much of that money belongs to your son. Do you not transfer it to his own bank account once you receive it? I always transfer my daughters PIP money to her as soon as i receive it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.