Scoliosis and spinal fusion surgery — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scoliosis and spinal fusion surgery

Rifa
Rifa Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi I’m 22 with scoliosis I have undergone a spinal fusion surgery which I deeply regret as it has caused me to be very limited with my motions. Does it get any better? or will I have to undergo more surgery throughout my life? Will it affect my chances to have children?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Hi @Rifa, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that things have been tough lately, it must have been a difficult thing to adapt to. Whilst we cannot offer medical advice or answers to your questions, hopefully others will be in touch and able to share their own experiences. 
  • lisa1972
    lisa1972 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hi hi I had my tribural yesterday but it was ajuned for further evidence.i had a fall the night before which affected my back,I already have a bad back .so made my walking a bit worse. As well as that they were running late and  tend to have little accidents aswell ,so I I didn't have time to explain about my fall .alsominwas very nervous aswell . But been to my gp and she is sending me for x ray as I already have back damage. I want to be in the wrag to maybe in the future help back to work . The judge thinks I could be in the wrong group.but I would rather be in the wrag .as I said I didn't have time to explain why.
  • Rifa
    Hi @Rifa, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that things have been tough lately, it must have been a difficult thing to adapt to. Whilst we cannot offer medical advice or answers to your questions, hopefully others will be in touch and able to share their own experiences. 
    Hi thank you, I understand I’m just looking for people who are going through a similar situation to see how they deal with the pain and the help they suggest 
  • lisa1972
    I have scolloioss to had surgery few times. But my rod had been removed and I now side have disc problems in my neck , I have loads of pain meds , has my spine is curving again .get injections every 8 weeks.but has for the pAin I think u learn to cope.and answer to your question about having children ,is yes you can still have children.
  • lisa1972
    I have had spinal fusion, my spine is still curving , to an  extent it affects  my bladder & bowel.i also disc damage to my neck aswell.i had to get my rod removed , so because of that my spine is curving again.i also get numbness on my side .aswell as pain in hips & legs . My question is can I receive esa .i have problems walking.
  • Rifa
    lisa1972 said:
    I have had spinal fusion, my spine is still curving , to an  extent it affects  my bladder & bowel.i also disc damage to my neck aswell.i had to get my rod removed , so because of that my spine is curving again.i also get numbness on my side .aswell as pain in hips & legs . My question is can I receive esa .i have problems walking.
    How long did you have the rods in before getting them removed 
  • lisa1972
    I had had the rods in for bout 20 yrs,or so had the surgery when I was 12 yr old and had the The rod removed when I was 22 had they moved up in to my neck .but since then been in a great deal of pain ,can only walk so far .and my spine in now on a 45 degree angle.but the pain is so bad.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi.Rifa. I also have scoliosis and various other things including spina bifida. I was not able to have surgery on my spine as I was told it was too risky and would paralyse me. I have now got arthritis in my neck which has been made worse by my scoliosis. I went to the doctor a few months ago. I had an xray, blood tests and a nerve conduction test. I have got an mri in a couple of weeks to see how bad things have got but it looks like I will probably need an operation now as it is affecting my hands and seriously limiting my mobility and I can hardly move my neck at all.
  • lisa1972
    Can I claim esa for scollioss,I also have disc damage to my neck ,and my waking is affected .thankyou 
  • julie2005
    julie2005 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi @Rifa
    May I ask which vertebrae you have fused?

• Rifa
    julie2005 said:
    Hi @Rifa
    May I ask which vertebrae you have fused?

The entire spine 
  • julie2005
    julie2005 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi @Rifa. I am also fused from T3 to L5. I have some limitations, but overall have fairly good mobility considering I have been fused for 28 years now. I get good and bad days, but always find that exercise and staying supple really helps. I had a baby 13 years ago with no problems or conplcations. Try not to worry, and don't think that surgery has ruined you life. Had they not operated you probably would have had other difficulties in the future which may have been life limiting. Here to chat if you need someone who understands X

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.