What themes would you like to see us talk about in 2019? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What themes would you like to see us talk about in 2019?

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
We have a different theme every fortnight, and we are planning our 2019 diary, so what themes would you like to see us cover?
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Communication - Others need to be more accepting that people have difficulties with communicating, each individual has their own way to be able to understand what others are saying. For example, I use an iPad with the speech to text function to regain the ability to join in with conversations.

Speaking up - We all have a voice, for those who struggle to say 'No' or they don't like what another person is doing or saying to them.

Respect - Others need to respect our independence, it may take all of our strength to do one thing, that others could do in an instant. Others need to stop taking our independence away.

The way others speak to us - Time and time again, I come across people who speak to me like I am a child or that I am unaware of the real world. Just because we are disabled does not mean we have lost the ability to comprehend something.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Enforcement of Discrimination law .   

..........(.hollow laughter, anyone?)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Does anyone have anything to add? :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Managing to maintain a home with chronic pain or fatigue 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Writing for therapy
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Getting PRACTICAL  help, despite not having or wanting to be disempowered by mental health labels or grovelling to social workers or anyone else able to abuse power over you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.