Know the points, descriptors and criteria for a PIP award — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Know the points, descriptors and criteria for a PIP award

Options
CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
One of the hardest things to do when making a claim is to adequately describe how your condition affects your daily life and or mobility

Just because you have a condition and diagnosis does not entitle you to a PIP award. PIP is awarded for the impact that your condition has on the things you can do.

Understanding how the points system and descriptors work is the key
Take each descriptor one at a time and explain, with examples how you are affected.
It can be very difficult to put into words because most of us take our limitations for granted and we have coping mechanisms in place to make life work for us the best way we can.

The assessors needs to understand your difficulties, two people with the same medical condition are not necessarily affected in the same way. So you need to paint a picture of your life in no uncertain terms. If you have familly or friends that know you well, they can often help with some of the things that you take for granted or don't feel are important.

You cannot rely on medical diagnosis or lists of medication and expect to be given an award.

The better the assessor understands how you are affected, the more likely you are to be given an accurate assessment. Don't expect the assessor to take your word for it, or understand that because you have such and such a pain you cannot do things.

The assessor can only report on your functionality on the day, they don't have a crystal ball
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Think before you answer, as many answer questions unaware that the answers they have given indecates other memory answers. You may get engaged in conversation and devoluge information that can and will be used to acess you on some descriptors with out you realising what has happened and wonder why you weren’t awarded PIP.
  • siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    Options
    Completely agree with everything above. I often thought at school that I wasn't being taught anything in some lessons, just taught how to answer questions correctly or how to structure essays or poems.

I once wrote a descriptive writing piece and was awarded the highest grade and my work used as an example for others classes and all I had done was look up how to write. The content was not very important - it was about a public toilet.

Whenever I fill in ANY form I look online to find out how they expect me to answer the question. If you fill in a personal statement for a uni application or apply for jobs in the public sector the top web searches are how to answer the questions.

I treated my PIP and ESA forms exactly the same. I haven't lied about anything but you have to get your point across clearly and in the right format.

Mistakes are made by the assessment providers no matter how thorough and to the point you are, but in my personal experience it's easier to sort them out afterwards if you have been clear on your form and sent in relevant evidence.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.