Benefit sanctions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefit sanctions

dazlee
dazlee Community member Posts: 18 Listener
I am signed off sick with depression & severe anxiety by my doctor. U.C have sanctioned all my benefit because I wasn't well enough to attend a work coach meeting. 9 months I have been without money now & I'm destitute! Check out my story on https://youtu.be/aNwghvCYxPU I am trying to raise funds to survive the winter at gofundme.com/benefit sanctions. I have no money for gas or electric and have no family to turn to as both my parents died of terminal cancer a few years ago. If anybody can help I would be very grateful

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    This is  the UC ..utter chaos fit for nothing useless **** benefit
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    You say you moved from ESA to UC is that correct? If so why did you move across? Were you in a group for ESA? Have you received a UC50 form for a work capability assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dazlee
    I had a w.c.a while on E.S.A and they didn't award me enough points. I took it to a tribunal but I couldn't attend on the day as I was in a state of deep depression having just seen my mum die of terminal cancer! I explained this to the tribunal and asked for their decision to be set aside. But they refused! I was destitute & had no option other than to claim U.C
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

You should have been sent a UC50 form, if you haven't been sent this then you need to ask for a referral for one to be sent.

The problem with UC is a fit note from your GP doesn't mean you have LCW and whether your work commitments are turned off will be down to your work coach. Some give less hours, very few turn them off completely. Have you spoken to your work coach to explain your anxiety and depression issues? I know you have a sanction and this doesn't help you. I would speak to welfare rights or law centre for help and advice with the MR request for the sanction. In the meantime please request the UC50 form to be sent to you, if you haven't received it. Make sure you send evidence to support your claim when returning the form. The evidence needs to state how your conditions affect you. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • dazlee
    I have a tribunal hearing in December! I have received help with this from citizens advice. We have clear proof that D.W.P have lied in their submissions to the tribunal, so hopefully my appeal will be allowed. Its just a struggle in the meantime surviving with no funds. 
  • Jul143
    Jul143 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Sorry hear this its appalling. I suffer with anxiety/depression and disability:(iv just received a8day sanction for not attending interveiw. But phone them them to explain this. Said was not good enough reason. This is nothing compared to your sanction.:how can they do this to people with illness
  • dazlee
    This is all part of the hostile environment they have created under U.C. The bullying & intimidation I have been subjected to is horrendous! And has made my depression worsen! I am wrapped in a blanket with no heating! My flat is freezing cold and I am surviving on 1 tin of cold food a day from the foodbank as I have no means of paying for gas or electric! 

• jaxs
    jaxs Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    its discriminating against mental health ..
  • Reeneroo1980
    Reeneroo1980 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi @dazlee
    Im sooo sorry your going through this ?
    With regards to your Electric and Gas have you been able to speak to your supplier? Most suppliers can help you if you have no money to put on each I know econemy do as I've had to ask before they take the money back everyday or each week. Also ask about warm home and see if your entitled to that too. 

I hope you get some help soon ??
  • dazlee
    I won my tribunal on 5 DEC. The open ended 8 month sanction was lifted so all my benefit is being backdated! It was proven during the tribunal that the DWP had lied and had conspired to present a defence of their sanction based on pure lies! I'm relieved its been finally resolved! But the 8 months of hell they put me through was awful! 
  • Reeneroo1980
    Reeneroo1980 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi @dazlee
    Im sooooo pleased for you to finally having all this nightmare sorted and just in time for Christmas xxx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Im so sorry to hear what you have been through @dazlee but I am thrilled to hear you won at tribunal!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Hi Dazlee,
    So sorry to hear that you have been treat like this, its disgusting. Animals are treat better!
    If you ring your gas and electric supplier they are emergency grants available for people in crisis just like Reeneroo1980 quoted in the above post. Which supplier are you with I know EDF so many others offer this service for emergency's. You maybe entitled to the warm home discount grant as well. This is a payment of £140 per year, so if you have a prepayment meter they will normally credit your electricity by sending out a key with the credit on it. However you will need to complete an online form for this and it has to be claimed from and in between the months of October to March every year. Its really easy to do and it is worth completing the form because they will do the checks to see if you are eligible. You maybe able to get an hardship payment even if you have had your benefits sanctioned. You normally have to contact your local council or job centre for this. I have found a phone number for the warm home discount scheme team Tel:03456039439.
    Hope this helps and I hope next year is much better for you.
    Take care  
  • poppy123456
    Always good to hear good news, well done.

@justg72 , dazlee won the Tribunal in their favour so no need for any hardship payments.

Also for the warm home discount it's much better to just apply online because it's free to do this. It can cost to ring an 0345 number, depending on your call package. Apply free here.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.