WTC to UC - disability element scrubbed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WTC to UC - disability element scrubbed?

ch0pp3r
ch0pp3r Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all

I’m looking some help or advice planning for the future. In the next 3 years or so I’ll migrate to UC from working tax credits. I recently completed a calculator and it shows that I wouldn’t be entitled to any UC. So in effect the disability element has been done away with. I did find some info saying that there would be a transitional allowance - meaning I’ll get paid the same so as not to lose out but that wouldn’t even be kept up indefinitely and would be reduced gradually. 
I currently work 30 hours per week. I get high rate PIP so I get the disability element of working tax credits. It was getting the high rate of PIP that enabled me to reduce my hours in work before I was sacked for sickness absence inefficiency as I couldn’t cope with the work hours. So this change is worrying and I can’t find much info about it so I think it’s sneakily gone under the radar. I even messed about with the calculator and even reducing my hours and therefore wages still didn’t qualify me at all for UC. 

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes there will be a transitional protection. The disability equivalent of UC is LCWRA so fit notes from a GP would be needed to apply for this. If you're placed into this group then you'll be given a work allowance.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @ch0pp3r  When you move onto UC you would have to undergo the Work Capability Assessment to maximise your UC eligibility.  If you pass this test then you could potentially have a work allowance as above - so some of your earnings would be ignored (you would get this if you also have any dependent children) and may also get an additional element to increase your UC level (the limited capability for work related activity element).  It is difficult to give detailed individual advice on here, perhaps it would be worth you seeking advice from a welfare rights unit/group/CAB so you can properly discuss this.  It is perhaps still a little early to be too certain about exactly what transitional protection is going to be as the regulations are still in draft form. Also migration onto UC for those already on benefits like tax credits is, as you say, some way off yet.  I do of course appreciate this is a worry for you.     
    The Benefits Training Co:

• bornjoyful
    bornjoyful Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    maybe this will help. It has taken me  over a year to work out how to get an aswer  so I put in an FOI https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/disability_element_and_condition_2#comment-86220
  • poppy123456
    Transitional protection isn't in place yet for anyone. This doesn't start until sometime this year. Moving to UC before the transitional protection is in place will most likely see people being worse off.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bornjoyful
    bornjoyful Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    yes i know this but at least this FOI explains that transitional protection will be available to everyone who is moved over from legacy benefits rather than just those who already get PIP or DLA
  • poppy123456
    It was never going to be just those who claimed PIP or DLA.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi @bornjoyful and others

I agree that it's good to be clear that people on the disability element of tax credits rather than the severe disability element will get transitional protection when they move onto universal credit under "managed migration"; but it's also clear that the policy intention is that this will gradually diminish. It's like mark-time pay when your employer pays it - its value deceases each year. It isn't good news.  We have to hope for adjustments to this new system due to the pressure that's there to amend the draft  legislation. 

Gill_Scope 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.