Universal credits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credits

pee14
pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
edited November 2018 in Research and opportunities
Hi trying to help someone's query please . She has made a claim for UC because her youngest has turned 5 . She was claiming IS for herself and  child tax credits 2 children also she claims CA and receives housing benefit.She would like to know will she end up with less money?  and also will her rent be included in her monthly money to pay incommuties housing?  Thankyou for any help 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Hi,

Who told her she had to claim UC? Who ever advised her to do that was incorrect. Yes, her youngest reached 5 but because she's claiming carers allowance then this means she qualifies for IS regardless of the age of her youngest child.

On UC Tax credits and housing benefits will transfer across to UC. Housing benefit will pay her for 2 weeks after the UC claim and then it will stop. She'll need to take her tenancy agreement to her local job centre so they can add the housing element of UC to her claim.

There's at least a 5 week wait for first payment of UC so she'll need to contact her landlord to explain she's now claiming UC and payments for UC are monthly.

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be separately from her local council.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pee14
    @poppy123456 Hello &thankyou for your reply. It was the job centre that told her to do it on the work focus interview last month .the lady said when your daughter turns 5 you will need to claim UC she went 5 on the 20th and she has an appointment on Friday to show her tenancy agreement and identify herself. 
  • pee14
    edited November 2018
    @poppy123456 she is now worried ,can she stop the claim or is it too late now ? Her IS hasn't stopped yet has she has been paid today . Also the CA is for  caring for her mother and not her children.
  • pee14
    @poppy123456 morning poppy she has just rang iIS and they appologised for telling her to claim UC. Yes you are right, and she has asked me to thank you if it wasn't for you she would of been attending her appointment tomorrow when there was no need .So thankyou. Very much 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    @pee14 I'm very happy to hear this! That's another one saved from claiming that awful UC, just goes to show that you should never believe everything they tell you at your local JC.
    Tell her she's very welcome!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.