Rent arrears — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rent arrears

Sim1y3
Sim1y3 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hi I have autism, anxiety learning difficulties and sensory difficulties and a wheelchair user. Earlier this year someone lied to the council and told them I moved out of my flat I didn't and now I owe over 1000 in rent i can't afford to pay it I also lost my DLA because of PIP so I have no money but they keep saying about court they know I'm disabled. The flat is horrible with mould and damp everyway I can't use the bedroom because it is bad. I can't wash clothes and the toilet leeks so I have to have the water turned off all the time. The boiler also broke and not been fixed. I am so scared and anxious and more paranoid than ever please someone help 

Comments

• Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Your first port of call should be the citizens advice beureu.. do you claim universal credit? or any other benefits? If you are on universal credit you can apply for a benefits advance, this is lump sum. They will give you this today if you ring them- the amount you get is depending on circumstances however you could offer the lump sum payment to the landlord and see if you can make a payment arrangement for the rest..Also you can get a low interest loan from the credit union xx 
  • Sim1y3
    Thank you. No I haven't heard anything from them I get ESA. Thanks for your helpful advice can i take mum with me im just not very confident or able to talk to a stranger face to face 
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    @Sim1y3 yes you can take your mum with you .
  • Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Yes, take her with you. Because you claim ESA you may be able to get a budgeting loan its a lump sum too and you could use it to pay off some arrears xx 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sim1y3, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm truly sorry to hear about what you're facing at the moment, it sounds as though things are really tough right now and I hope we can help.

Are you comfortable with speaking on the phone? If so, I think our helpline team would be best placed to support you and help move things forwards. You can contact them at 0808 800 3333 (free) or find other methods of contact here.
  • Sim1y3
    Sorry it took so long been staying out of everyone but mum's way because of the fear. Sadly I'm not confident on the phone at all

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.