PIP - Going Out — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP - Going Out

Trev121
Trev121 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
Hello,
I have dug this out about PIP under the Going Out descriptor.

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route (c) - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning..

Undertaking a Journey (b) and (e) - this is do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route (d) and (f) - the DWP regard this as a cognitive or sensory activity to do with navigating the route, SO are there problems that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact if you cannot undertake a journey then you will struggle to score points for following one. The reasons that you are unable to follow or navigate the route must not be due to psychological distress.

I have COPD. I am not all at confident about leaving my house because I always suffer anxiety and distress and fear of having exacerbation's, panic attacks and psychological distress due to my breathing problems with COPD. I do not really have cognitive/sensory impairment, but I do need prompting/encouragement to actually leave my house because of the above anxiety/distress, etc, So do my problems come under Undertaking a Journey (b)?
thanks

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Trev
    As a fellow COPD sufferer I understand what you are saying, it never occured to me that planning and following a journey may be applicable. I think you will have a job to get it accepted as any MH issues are very hard to get an award for.
    Breathing and panic attacks can certainly have an affect on walking distances when you apply the Safely, Repeatedly and to an acceptable standard requirements
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Trev121
    Hi CockneyR'
    Good to meet a fellow COPD sufferer, and point taken - there is little sympathy for MH issues. Perhaps decision-makers should try putting bags over their heads, and see how it feels to be short of breath. 
    thanks
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    We were going to have a party for people with COPD but could not blow up the baloons :)
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Trev121
    quite right - and neither is it likely we'd ever get prosecuted for Drink/driving, after being asked to blow into a breathalyser!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Trev121 said:
    quite right - and neither is it likely we'd ever get prosecuted for Drink/driving, after being asked to blow into a breathalyser!
    You would and probably receive a more serious penalty for refusing to give a breath test.
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    THello I want to work as doing literally nothing or very little doesn't help my issues at all but I have had 33jobs so not sure if I can stay in a job. If I work would I get working tax credits or universal credits?? Orwould it be a lot less than on benefits?? Very confusing and I would like to work if possible because people judge you on benefits and if makes my mental health worse 
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    I'm on pip and have bpd
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,325 Disability Gamechanger
    kami24 said:
    THello I want to work as doing literally nothing or very little doesn't help my issues at all but I have had 33jobs so not sure if I can stay in a job. If I work would I get working tax credits or universal credits?? Orwould it be a lot less than on benefits?? Very confusing and I would like to work if possible because people judge you on benefits and if makes my mental health worse 

Whether you'll be better off working i have no idea, for this you'll need further advice from your local CAB.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Trev121
    Thanks for your replies, everyone
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Very interesting and me too".
    I like the put a bag over their heads.
    Most people have no understanding of the problems we struggle with 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.