Disabled toilets and invisible impairments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled toilets and invisible impairments

Options
DavidJ
DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
As we are talking about toilets I thought I would mention my take on access and use of by certain members of the community .
I am not being judgemental at all this is just an opinion based on what I see from wheelchairs height.
With recent changes and proposed changes to blue badge eligibility re mental health and disability that cannot be seen I find myself living in a minefield !!
Back a few years it was acceptable to challenge someone using a disabled toilet who did not “look “ disabled! Now there’s a stupid phrase if I ever heard one ! What “does” a disabled person look like anyway ?
Now in 2018 it’s not for me to judge or criticise someone who is using a disabled toilet . There are hundreds of invisible disabilities . Mine is too ! If I get out of my chair you would not know I was disabled .
So I certainly do not challenge anyone’s right to use the dis wc . I respect everyone s disability hidden or otherwise . Has it made me soft ? No it hasn’t for the simple reason I was brought up properly , and as a child of the 50/60s I knew right from wrong because I and my siblings were taught it . I have no intention of lowering my standards just so someone can have a slanging match over the use of a disabled  toilet .
Its not down to us the chronically sick and disabled to fight our corner it’s society itself that’s meant to help us . As we all know there is good and bad in every section Of society even ours the disabled one . It only takes a few ignorarant and don’t care less people to ruin it for all of us . They know who they are and they don’t care because there is nothing or anyone to stop them .we are in the “snowflakes “ era now and respect from where I am sitting is disappearing fast .
On a better note there are also those with the same high standards as myself . It’s called respect for ones fellow man and it’s free .Doesnt cost a penny but in the correct context is worth a fortune .
Live long and prosper.
Have a good week and thanks to @Pippa_scope for jolting  my memory 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with us in such a mindful way, @DavidJ. In my experience it's often fellow disabled people who are least judgemental towards those with invisible impairments! It would certainly be interesting to hear others' thoughts on this too.
  • DavidJ
    DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
    Options
    @mikehughesca you are so right Disabled or Accessible are just words . I am old school and I really hate the baby changing facilities in the “accessible “ toilets .
    I have had more than one “accident “ whilst waiting for baby getting changed 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.