Hi, my name is Mikey99! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Mikey99!

Mikey99
Mikey99 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi - I've been aware of your good work for a while now but have only just decided to register.
We have a "learning disabled" son - Alan - now aged 46 whom we've obviously supported all our lives; but since we're now in our seventies we would appreciate some professional support.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Mikey99 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

You have come to the right place for information, advice, support.

I am one of the team of community champions who inform, guide new members who join. How we can be supportive offer advice and information.

Please can I advise have a look at our community posts on Parents and carers.    Also have a look under Talk about Specific Conditions.  Learning Difficulties.

We are a friendly community. Care and share.

Please ask anything you wish to know.. There will be community members and members of our team. who will be able to answer.

Hope that helps.

Pleasure to meet you

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mikey99

Welcome to our online community/family.

You have come to the right place for both “help & support “

Please please let me There’s anything that I can help you with????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mikey99, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us. Do feel free to post in our parents and carers discussions and tell us a little more, and we'll do our best to offer some guidance and point you in the right direction.
  • Mikey99
    Mikey99 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    steve51 - hi, and thanks for your prompt response.
    I have emailed Zoe with details of our query, and can copy you.
    Briefly … our "learning disabled" son Alan (46) lives in a care home here in Southend. Suddenly the Council visited him, performed an "assessment" and based on his income versus a Minimum Income Guarantee figure of £91.40 has concluded that he must pay them £41.90pw.
    I can follow the maths: however bearing in mind he gets a Disability Premium: Enhanced of £ 16.40 and a Disability Living Allowance (Care) – Low  of £22.65 they don't seem to have recognised this in the MIG figure: the Government table seems to suggest his MIG should be £151.45, plus a further LRDLA of £12.00, making his “Net Protected Income” £163.45
    Which is more than his income so, nothing to pay?
    He also gets quarterly household bills - again wouldn't this be added to his "Disregarded" income?
    If you're able to help/advise - excellent.
    If not maybe you can recommend someone who can explain how all this works!
    Thanks - Mike

• GizmoTiddles
    GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
    Hi @Mikey99
    And welcome possibly lots of good advice on tap here to help you .
    I wish you well
    Cheers Gizmo
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to see you're having some support from the helpline team with this, @Mikey99. You may also be interested in our PIP/DLA and finances and extra costs community discussions.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.