I have made a huge mistake and i'm so scared — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have made a huge mistake and i'm so scared

Butterflyhome77
Butterflyhome77 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I got a letter for a Review Appointment with DWP, I mistakenly thought that it was another medical which led to an acute mental break.  I rang the Citizens Advice and they explained that it's just routine and nothing to worry about, then they went through some checks with me to show me the kind of info they would require, they told me that I shouldn't have savings over £6000 and I realised that I have made a huge mistake! I didn't know that I had to tell them about savings, i've been on benefits for so long and i've never been asked for bank statements etc in the last 8 years.  I have saved £10,000 due to not being able to leave my house (mental illness).  I honestly didn't know, i've never done anything wrong before and now i'm so afraid that they are going to put me in jail.

I have an appointment with the Advocacy Service tomorrow but do I need a solicitor?  My mental health is so badly affected and i've had the Crisis Team and valium prescribed.

I am not coping and going through this alone is so scary.  Has anyone else every made a mistake like this?  I understand now that I owe them money and I will give them it all back but will they put me in jail?  Can anyone help me?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You need to check if you're claiming Contributions based or Income Related ESA first. Contributions based ESA isn't means tested and won't be affected by any savings.

Did you move from Incapacity benefit to ESA?

Do you claim housing benefit and council tax reduction? The savings rule applies to those as well.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Butterflyhome77
    Hi yest it impacts my ESA, Housing Benefit and Council Tax.  I've been trying to get through to the DWP all morning with no luck so far, i'll try again after 1pm.  I saved the money because I didn't think i'd be able to survive another medical, I would never have done it if I had known I wasn't allowed. The advisory service were really blase about the whole thing, saying that I haven't gone over the threshold so worse case scenario i'll owe DWP etc lots of money which of course i'll pay them back.
  • Butterflyhome77
    Thank you.  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.