Lack of mental health service in rural cornwall — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lack of mental health service in rural cornwall

mattw84
mattw84 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
I have been a long sufferer of agarophbia for most of my life and in the past few years have become almost house bound again after the loss of my brother and other bereavements

when I lived in Hampshire I had daily mental health input and even a mental health support worker
i am on diazepam and other meds for my conditions but the DWP have on 2 occasions refused my pip based on my low level mental health input but how is this my fault? I now live in Cornwall and there is one group and I have been on their waiting list for nearly 8 months so it’s not my lack of need but lack of mental health service in my area

i am being penalised for not being treated when I can’t get the treatment

i have Aven all the paperwork and am attending my tribunal tomorrow after a year of fighting

thanks
matt 

Comments

• Paddie
    Paddie Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Matte84
    I totally agree with lack of support in Cornwall.
    im assuming you've spoken to your GP?
    what area of Cornwall are you living in?
    They do have a mental health unit at Bodmin but obviously you can't attend there with your condition.
    Your GP can request a CPN to call on you & assess your needs.
    hope this helps a little... easier said than done but keep in contact & try & stay strong.
    wishing you all the best.
    Paddie
  • mattw84
    mattw84 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Paddie said:
    Matte84
    I totally agree with lack of support in Cornwall.
    im assuming you've spoken to your GP?
    what area of Cornwall are you living in?
    They do have a mental health unit at Bodmin but obviously you can't attend there with your condition.
    Your GP can request a CPN to call on you & assess your needs.
    hope this helps a little... easier said than done but keep in contact & try & stay strong.
    wishing you all the best.
    Paddie
    Thanks Yes I have seen my gp a few times and am on the waiting list for outlook south west but it’s been months. At least I won my tribunal today and i now will get pip and backdated from December last year so at least that’s one less worry. I am sure things will fall into place soon and the mental health service is under pressure to change so watch this space I guess
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to see you've had some support from the community @mattw84 , and really glad to hear you won your tribunal!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.