If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.



I have been long term sick for 15 years since a teenager. I have always lived with parents but am looking at the potential of getting a flat. However, I am in a full UC area. If I apply for HB I will be migrated to UC (currently on IR ESA SG and PIP) which looks the only option? This is ok. But also though sadly it seems I won't get the SDP which is substantial. I know that there is some protection for people already on this, coming into effect - but is there anything for people who have never claimed it?

At present I am applying for carers allowance instead for my parents to claim, but ideally I would have preferred to get SDP myself and wondered if this is being looked at at all? I presume I can stop the carers allowance if there was a chance. To live alone will cost me so much more and yet the cutback - for no reason - is huge. I hope this somehow gets fairer as most people who hadn't been forced to trigger a switch to UC would get this and it is protected.

Many thanks



Sign in or join us to comment.