If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

On PIP then starting work

kami24kami24 Posts: 288Member Pioneering
edited December 2018 in Employment
nervous about the future.i live in a full UC area but I cliam pip and have been on it 3 years now and past 2 years on JSA so I would like to work because it might help my mental health but will I get working tax credits as on pip or has that all ended now and I would get nothing or a universal credit top up payment instead of working tax credit as its replaced it?? very confused as read different things .?????

Replies

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,732Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @kami24
    You certainly arent alone in being confused with UC, it is a really confusing system!

It might be worth you checking the benefits calculator to see what that comes out with? Im sure someone with more information will be alond to help soon.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 3,492Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    If you’re on means-tested JSA then it will depend on the number of hours you’re planning on doing. If they’re enough to float you off JSA then your only choice would then be UC. If they’re not then you stay on JSA and declare your earnings.

The generaL rule is that if you have a change of circumstances which would require a new claim then your choice is UC. However, DWP repeatedly get this wrong and staff will often say you’ve got no choice but to claim UC when you have, depending on the circumstances.
  • TheArrowTheArrow Posts: 27Member Connected
    If you’re on PiP then you can work upto 16 hours per week to claim tax credits, this would mean you’d have to sign off JSA.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 3,492Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    No, any new claim would be for UC.
  • kami24kami24 Posts: 288Member Pioneering
    I think it would be UC too if you are on pip if you are in the disabled group isn't it or has that changed and no one gets anything whilst working ?? 
Sign in or join us to comment.