A GUIDE TO USING GNOCCHI — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A GUIDE TO USING GNOCCHI

Options
thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one thought I would like to talk about Gnocchi . This is a regional specialty of the North of Italy.

It is made from potatoes, flour and water.  

Something different. I use this with Ragu sauce. Makes a change from potatoes . Some have cheese in them or spinach.

I buy the ready made ones in the packs you may have seen them. Ones with 70% potato the best. In the supermarket. Especially good this time of year.

I do several sauces with these Ragu which is easier or use a mushrooms based sauce.

You will need stockpot medium size or large Sauté pan, saucepan for Gnocchi, Colander bowl for draining Gnocchi, Knife, chopping board, Food processor, spoons, measuring spoons. Spice mill.  You could use just a bowl to mix herbs in.

RAGU SAUCE

1 Onion 1 large Carrot 2 Sticks Celery diced fine.
Jar Passata or Carton 
Stock made up. use stock cubes 2 to a pint.
Pancetta or lardons diced in a pack.
Garlic powder 1 teaspoon.
I use Italian mix of herbs . My own mix.
One buy one of those jars Italian mix.

I use Oregano, Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Fennel Seeds, Sage, Parsley, one quarter teaspoon of each. With one quarter teaspoon Chilli flakes blitzed up in a Spice mill.

Tomato puree/Tomato ketchup one tablespoon.
plus Pepper and Salt to taste.

METHOD

Chop vegetables fine by hand or food processor. Easier to do vegetables individual in food processor add each one to a bowl.

Fry lardon pancetta till golden Olive oil.   Sauté pan  or Stockpot.  Add vegetables season. Add Tomato products, puree, ketchup to vegetables. Mix. 

Add Passata, Herbs, Garlic powder, cover with stock and simmer.

For a about 40 minutes or longer. 

GNOCCHI

To a Saucepan  water bring to a boil season with one tablespoon salt.

Add Gnocchi per person a handful. Understand you will know when they are done they rise to the surface. About 5 to 8 minutes any longer become too fluffy.

Drain to a Colander with a bowl underneath with slotted spoon.  Easier to drop into the sauce. Remove from Colander to Stockpot or Sauté Pan

To Stockpot or Sauté pan mix in and leave to infuse as you do Pasta.

Then to a serving  bowl and top with cheese as you would Pasta.

Use Ragu sauce with any meat.  Use this with Chicken shredded in or Beef, Pork Mince like Bolognese. Used this with cheap cuts of meat like Lamb,Pork Shoulder diced up.  Offal Lambs Heart or Liver.

You could add wine to the sauce if that is your wish, I do not.

For a Mushroom sauce add in Mushrooms. Dried Porcini. Jars of Anti Pasti. Fresh.

Hope any one gives this a try. Makes a change from Pasta.

Bueno Appetito.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @thespiceman

Thank you for sharing your recipe it was very informative easy to follow I’m sure other member will enjoy as it sounds interesting and most of quick and easy to do. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @pink_princess Thank you very much. For comments. Appreciated.

I am going to share them because they do not cost a lot. Also I hope to add some more.

Always done Italian or Mediterranean style recipes because there are quite easy and not to hard to follow.

You can make them your own by the way. I have to say to you please do.

This the food I basically live on.  Learnt that when claiming benefits plus my  long term situation with them.

We have all been there benefits cut or changes or what ever the situation I have been in.

Useful to know having these recipes to hand . Pull something together. Easy, quick and simple.

The one rule I always have good ingredients, simply cooked and easy to do.  As a lot of these countries who have the cuisines is there mantra.

Good ingredients do not have to cost the earth.  You can freeze Ragu sauce if you so wish to. Use zip bags from the supermarket. Or these clip bags have two rows of seals clip together.  Easy storage.

Pleasure to meet you and to talk to you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.