Looking for support for ASD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for support for ASD

Grenville
Grenville Community member Posts: 16 Listener
edited December 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder from 31/08/2018.  But since then I have had no support as their appears no support for people who live in Morpeth.  I contacted the Autism Charity who said there was a group, in Belford.  But that is North Northumberland and I would have to drive 34.5 miles each way. I am off work at the present time for a  least a year due to poor treatment etc, I am looking for a new job,  Incredible their appears little or no Support North of Gateshead.  It appears I will have to look further afield.  But I have now decided to just forget about it, but only use for employment reasons.  This has been so depressing

Comments

• Grenville
    Sorry I did not mention, Morpeth is in Northumberland, Nearest city is Newcastle Upon Tyne 16 miles away and Gateshead is in Northumberland.  I was not offered travel expenses to belford and felt it was far to far for an 1 and hour meeting
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Grenville, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm sorry to hear things have been difficult lately. I've moved your post into our Ask an Autism and Asperger's advisor category where hopefully @Jack_W will be able to help. If we can be of any assistance in the meantime, do let us know!
  • Jack_W
    Jack_W Scope Member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Hello @Grenville,

Sadly, there can be little similarity for services provided in local areas and will likely be a huge variation. You might want to get in touch with your Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or your Healthwatch, who might be able to identify what services are currently available in your area.

There are also more informal groups, which can often be found on sites like Facebook, for more remote and peer-support driven help. However, I understand it may not work for all people who prefer direct support and others who might want to interact online.

Take care,
    Jack
  • Grenville
    Thanks Jack, but I know about the local commissoning group, I am going around in circles, TBH I think I will not waste any more time on this, it has been totally useless, and the support is a best ****.  
  • vysvader
    vysvader Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    edited December 2018
    Hi Grenville,

Naturally, ASD doesn't make anyone an "extrovert party animal", there are just stats, however, the stats don't describe ASD for any extraordinary strong socializing tendencies and if it's not the case, then usually, they go online. Could you specify what kind of an interaction are you interested in? Perhaps, you might have already seen the NAS, Wrong Planet, and so far...

You mentioned a library. If you need it personally, you don't need a group. Just once again like you normally use to do, visit the library where you use to go normally and say "hello" to anyone watching your shoes or very ridiculously and nonvoluntarily obsessed with some particular topics such as history, natural sciences, technology, etc (even if they watch into your eyes when they speak with you). If the library serves e.g. 500 people, people with HFASD/Aspies are characteristic introverts inclined to read, with reading tendencies,  (in the library is a much higher density of people with HFASD/Asperger's Syndrome than in a normal population) then the chances are, the library is visited by more undiagnosed and/or diagnosed Aspies then the above mentioned ASD sessions and you already know them. They've been visiting exactly the same places as you, they're closer than you think, they're between the closest ones.

Best regards,
    J. Vysvader
    You can feel free to get in touch 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.