If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

£243 UC

Dont_cry_for_meDont_cry_for_me Posts: 7Member Listener
Hello. I started claiming UC a few months ago. They told me I would receive £317 per month.
They gave me one month in advance as I had no money. Therefore they take £26 per month out of my money.
Two months ago my UC was dropped to £243 per month. They said this was because of a child tax credits overpayment. 
Is there anything I can do, as I'm unable to cope on such a small income?
At present, I'm regarded as homeless and "sofa surfing".
My estranged Husband used to deal with benefits, as I suffer from debilitating mental health problem.
  P.S you may notice, I have also posted about PIP.
Kind regards


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 14,904Community champion Disability Gamechanger

    Unfortunately, the child tax credits payment you received will be deducted from your UC payment. As it was from child tax credits, your next monthly payment will return to normal, minus the £26 per month from the advance payment you received.
  • Dont_cry_for_meDont_cry_for_me Posts: 7Member Listener
    Hi Poppy, I think they are going to be taking the £48 CTC for a long time.
      I knew nothing about the debt until I signed on benefits, when my marriage ended.
    I'm finding it very difficult to make ends meet.
    Even the lady from the homeless team at the council is concerned how little I'm getting. She told me they would not help me with a property unless they are sure I would be able to afford.
       My mental health support worker is taking me to the CAB next week for advice and to see what other debts I may have.
       It seems my estranged Husband has been keeping a lot from me.
    Kind regards
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,856Member Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this with us @Dont_cry_for_me, and I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling financially.

    I'm glad you have your support worker to help you advocate, and I hope your CAB appointment helps move things forwards. Please do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can.
  • samnealesamneale Posts: 1Member Listener
    I'm in a similar position you can ring the uc over payment line on 08009160647
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,856Member Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @samneale!
Sign in or join us to comment.