Does pain medication affect immune system / increase infections? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does pain medication affect immune system / increase infections?

mossycow
mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
Hi there fellow Scope community members! 

So  something I've wondered for a while and I'd appreciate all input even 'just' your own experiences.... 

Do you think that opiate medications like codeine, oramorph can affect how many minor illnesses you get. 

I've noticed I've definitely had a massive increase of infections that require antibiotics and minor illnesses since requiring such medications.... 

And while watching ER (hospital TV show from the 90s...absolutely absorbing.... Great pain distraction) Dr Ross (aaahhh bless him... Do you remember when George Clooney was new on the scene?... I was always more of a Dr Green girl myself.... But I digress... Sorry)

So yeah Dr Ross was talking to a mum of a kid taking oramorph and they implied that this was why her son was having more chest infections.

What do you think? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Nope, i've never noticed anything like this and been taking opiates for almost 6 years. Highest dose of tramadol a day for almost 3 years, stopped this and been taking morphine for 3 years.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mossycow
    Nice one  thanks. It's that kind of response I was hoping for to be honest because I can't imagine life having much quality without the painkillers I'm getting on with. The opiates have always been the kinder of the drugs I'm able to use. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it might depend on the reason that you take the opiates and any other conditions present.
    I take Morphine mainly for disintegrating spine and general joint and body pain
    ( I don't want a name for this ) But also have chronic COPD. with an increase in morphine dose I now get chest infections a lot. Two weeks of antibiotics and steroids clears it but then two weeks later another chest infection
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mossycow
    That's interesting (sorry you are living through it) thanks. 

I take oramorph as a top up pain killer for chronic pain. I have a weird body... Not easy to describe . 

Off to gp this afternoon as week of amoxicillin hasn't cleared this infection up... Bit scared to be honest... Feel like my body is just getting more and more broken... 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.