If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Son is feeling isolated and excluded

SystemSystem Posts: 294 Scope community team

Replies

• raxaraxa Posts: 31Member Whisperer
    hi it has been 1years 6 months my has been at home without any education as he only want to do computer technology, finally we have found the right course at Ealing College for my son unfortunately he has done the similar course in 2014 therefore SEN team refused for funding, according to my knowledge he should in education up to age 25 he has EHCP.  His feeling really isolated his missing his friends as they all have moved on with there life.  please advise if are any supported living for Autisum with difficult his quite able.  

Please please advise  his feeling emotional he crys loss of appetite lossing weight.
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,447Member Brian Blessed
    There seems to be a huge gap in providing suitable activities for young adults with disabilities. I used to be a support worker 8 years ago and basically once they had exhausted any limited courses at college or limited places at day centres which were being decreased continually then there was very little to do. It was down to care workers for those in care services to offer day time activities. This was dependent on many variable factors which could be very disruptive to the service users. It seems that funding and resources continues to be main issues. What must be shocking for young people is going from potentially good structured protected environment at school then maybe college them just nothing. How can you explain that to young people with these disabilities. Plus you have the parents or carers having to fight for diagnosis or entitlement to appropriate benefits with a lack of services like cab to help you with the process. It’s shocking and I take my hat of to you. It seems to me that the government is not addressing these issues for young people and instead is cutting back where it is most needed. Good luck.

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,267Administrator Scope community team
    I'm so sorry to hear that your son is having a hard time, @raxa

Network Autism has some information on their page about different independent living options, including supported living. NAS also have some great links and resources on their site, and may be able to assist further, about your son's education too, if you get in touch. These pages may be worth a read to help you get started. 

Are there any social clubs or activities around you that your son could potentially join? 
Sign in or join us to comment.