Severe Canal Stenosis, RA & OA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Canal Stenosis, RA & OA

Sals66
Sals66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, I’m new on here! I have had Osteo Arthritis since having a hip replacement 9 years ago aged 42, two years ago I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and I receive basic PIP. I had a face to face review in May and explained that my lower back was causing me unbearable pain but I had nothing to back it up.

Last week I finally got the hospital letter advising that the MRI showed that my lumbar spine has a disc protrusion at L4/L5 with advanced facet joint degenerative change and severe canal stenosis at L4/L5.

What I want to ask is if you think I should go back to the DWP and ask them to reassess my PIP to see if I can get the mobility aspect taken into consideration. I am in agony when I stand for mire than 10 mins and walking even short distances make me grit my teeth with pain.

I am not sure what to do so would welcome your input.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

Reporting a change of circumstances means they will look at the whole award again and another face to face assessment will most likely be needed as most have them.

No one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to your current award because no one knows exactly how your conditions affect you. You'll need to get face to face advice from welfare rights or a law centre near you before reporting those changes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sals66, and a warm welcome to the community! I hope the above response is helpful, please do let us know if you have any further questions.

We have lots of members with RA and related conditions here on the community, so do get involved with our discussions! :)
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    When is your next review actually due? 
  • Sals66
    Sals66 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.