Disabled Badge — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled Badge

NannaCath
NannaCath Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Good evening everybody 

I’m new to this group so my sincere apologies if this question has already been posted, or something similar. 

Im a Type 1 Diabetic and have been for 43 years. I’m on an insulin pump 24 hours a day and I suffer with chronic pain due to diabetic neuropathy. I also have Ulcerative Colitis and asthma and I suffer with chronic anxiety in public places on a social basis. 

Despite applying for a disabled badge earlier in the year but was flatly refused it. Due to physical and mental health complications I felt justified sending in my application but as said it was refused. Also, I work with the colleagues who manage disabled badge applications and felt wholly embarrassed and anxious about appealing the application. It’s a very classic case of ignorance by them ‘looks like there’s nothing wrong with her’. Didn’t realise pain going through my arms, legs, feet and back were visable but there you go! I also see realise I had to display what’s going round in my head when I’m at a low point with anxiety! 

Has anyone else with similar disabilities applied and been refused a car disability badge? Any tips or advice on how I can add more umpf to my application? I’ve got both PIP rates (Standard) which I thought would be enough with my completed form and my gp backing that. But no, out right refused. 

Would appreciate any any help or advice. 

Many millions of thanks in advance. 

Love to you all. 

Cath xxx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To automatically qualify for a blue badge through a PIP award you need to have scored at least 8 points in the "moving around" part of mobility. If you scored the points in following and planning a journey and live in England then this doesn't automatically qualify you to the Blue badge.

If you don't automatically qualify then you'll need to take a look at your local councils criteria because all councils are different. You would need some evidence to support a claim also but getting the badge without automatically qualifying isn't as easy as it used to be.
    I'm assuming when you appealed the decision didn't change? You can try and apply again but this time send some evidence that supports your mobility issues and how you're affected. They'll most likely ask you to attend an assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NannaCath, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm sorry to hear this. I'm sure many of our other invisibly ill members will have had similar experiences (myself included!) and understand how frustrating this outcome can be. As Poppy mentioned, did you consider appealing the decision? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.