DLA to PIP has now left my 16 year old son with only the standard rate mobility, now facing tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP has now left my 16 year old son with only the standard rate mobility, now facing tribunal

Options
jennyrennyjenjen
jennyrennyjenjen Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, has anyone got any advice as we are facing tribunal about my sons PIP decision to reduce his mobility component. My son has CP and has had the higher rate of mobility for the past 12 years. His walking is really bad, he trips and falls all the time and his balance is terrible. He has poor speech and is embarrassed by this too when out in public. We have appealed and are waiting for a date to take his case to tribunal. Any advice as to how we approach the panel? We have no idea what to expect and are incredibly nervous about the whole thing.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and not trying to put up you down, but as you well know DLA was awarded to your sons disability and now he is claiming PIP the criteria for claiming PIP is about you son abilities to meet the PIP descriptors, so my advice is focon how your sons disability impacts on his daily live in relationship to the PIP descriptors. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Also I would point out that under DLA if walking was limited to 50 metres then the higher rate was awarded.
    Under PIP the maximum for the enhanced rate is now 20 metres.

For those that argued for the 50 metre distance will now have to argue for the lower 20 metre distance.

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jennyrennyjenjen
    I would suggest that as your son keeps falling that he is unable to walk under the criteria of safely and repeatedly.In your M.R. I would emphasise this and give a few examples of how dangerous it is for him.Good luck.
        Debsidoo.x
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

As is often pointed out on here (and by the previous poster) to satisfy any of the descriptors - e.g. walking - your son must be able to achieve them - safely, repeatedly & in a reasonable time.

I would ask yourself the following, and keep a diary of ‘real life’ examples.

When you say he trips and falls ‘all of the time’ how often do you actually mean? Does he fall over every time he walks? Or does it vary?

Has he ever injured himself following a fall?

If he walks a short distance will he be OK? If so what is that distance?

Does he tire (sorry I’m not familiar with CP if this makes you tired). Is his walking worse when he is tired?

If he walked say 50 meters and back, could he repeat that?

How fast does he walk? If he were to walk slowly would that be safer for him?

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of an interrogation!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.