Dla lifetime award — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dla lifetime award

pllfan88
pllfan88 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
Hello, I'm looking for some advice for my dad.

My dad has secondary progressive MS,  he is currently still on Dla high rate for both. He has been on dla for around 15 years and is 63 will be 64 in June next year. 

He called dla last year to ask if and when he will be asked to claim PIP,  they said he wouldn't be asked as he has a lifetime award.

I was sure that dla was ending and everyone would eventually have to claim PIP. So I'm after some insight please. Should my dad just leave it or ask to claim PIP. 

Would my dad be allowed to claim PIP or would he have to claim attendance allowance once his dla ends? 

Sorry for ramblings I hope I make some sense! 

Thank you

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Not 100% sure but I would when you phone DWP if what they are saying that your father will not need to claim PIP because he has a life long DLA award, then ask for it to be confirmed in writing far better than word of mouth. Don’t claim any other benefits till you have this confirmation in writing and getting advice from CAB or other agencies.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018
    Me thinks that someone has dropped a hucking huge clanger here!!

Of course the DWP are wrong - probably one of their outside agency telephone staff.

I was 64, not quite 65 when PIP came in. I was receiving High Care & High Mobility Indefinitely with DLA - I still had to claim PIP - and lost!!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.