Would love to hear about experiences and feelings around claiming disability benefits! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would love to hear about experiences and feelings around claiming disability benefits!

GlasgowMama
GlasgowMama Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I've recently been awarded PIP, and I still feel really strange about identifying as disabled. I never applied for it for over a decade, a little bit through fear of the process and all the horror stories one hears about it all, but mostly, if I'm completely honest, I never applied because I think I was in denial about being disabled. Has anyone else had these same feelings? It's a strange experience, but I'm at the point in my life where my needs and my responsibilities toward myself and my family outweigh my fears and prejudices around the whole label thing. 

I would love love to hear about your experiences and feelings around claiming disability benefits, and/or asking for help. Thank you for any participation in the discussion, I'm hoping to hear from at least a few of you guys, although I do understand that it's a deeply personal issue that I'm asking about. I have no agenda, and have no malicious intent, I just have nobody to talk to, and I'm glad I found this forum, I'm hoping I can get some social interaction here, even if it is only online. Loneliness is not a good state of being. Thanks for reading, have a great evening/day :)

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GlasgowMama

Welcome it’s great to meet you today!!!!!!!! 

Yes I have got all of the “T-Shirt’s” 

Following my “Stroke” in 1998 at the age off 32 my “life” changed “big time”

Please please let me know if I can help/support you further???
  • GlasgowMama
    GlasgowMama Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks so much for your reply, it's nice to know that there's an active community here, I think it's going to help me a lot :)
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GlasgowMama welcome to the community!

I felt the same before claiming PIP. I always wanted to work and becoming disabled last year completely took it all away from me. I will admit I never wanted to claim benefits, it was difficult enough coming to terms with my disabilities let alone needing to claim a benefit.

I started to look at the bigger picture and realised I do need the extra support.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GlasgowMama

“No probs”

“It’s my Pleasure”

Please please let me know if I can help you further???????

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GlasgowMama, and a warm welcome to the community. It's great to have you here!

Thanks for sharing this with us: I'm sure many others will be able to relate. I hope at the very least, it helps to know that you're among others who understand here on the community. You're not alone, and we're here to support you however we can. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.