Benefits and Small Business — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits and Small Business

Options
Monkeyband
Monkeyband Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi everyone - hope someone can give me some advice re running a small business and disability benefits.
i had a life-changing change of circumstances 5 years ago, which left me in a position where I could no longer carry out “normal” paid employment. I’m in a wheelchair, am incontinent, am in constant pain, and need several “power naps” a day to support me.
however I have had a hobby for the last 10 years, which I decided to turn into a small business, rather than claim benefits.
but given time, I now find I need to claim benefits (notably ESA, housing benefit, and Carers Allowance) but although my hours worked are qualifying, the fact that I earn under the minimum wage has caused me problems.
from what I can gather they will want me to either earn more (not feasible given the hours I can manage), or give up the business and go into paid employment (not feasible given my limitations above) or stop work altogether (don’t wish to do so - would rather keep busy)
can anyone offer me any advice please ? 
Many thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,014 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm assuming you don't already claim ESA? If you don't and you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you'll be able to claim New style contributions based ESA or contributions based ESA, same benefit, different name depending on if your area is a full Universal credit area. Check here.

If you haven't paid enough NI contributions then you won't be able to claim the above. If your area is a full universal credit area then you'll have to claim UC but this will depend on household income. Housing benefit is part of UC if your area is a full UC area.

You don't say if you live with a partner that works or live by yourself? Do you claim DLA/PIP?

Carers allowance can only be claimed if you're looking after someone for at least 35 hours per week and they're claiming a qualifying benefit such as DLA/PIP or Attendance allowance.

I'd advise a visit to your local CAB for a full benefits check.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.