ESA assement 31/12 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA assement 31/12

missyaly
missyaly Community member Posts: 5 Listener
hi everyone

i have been on ESA since September 15 , in the support group. Each year I have had a questionnaire to fill in by post. This time I have to go to the job centre for a face to face, I’m not good in situations new to me. 

‘’I’m hoping some one can let me know what to expect please.

thanks Alison

Comments

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hi Alison I just took my son to his Assessment last week they asked us for his medication and question about his problems was actually very quick and obviously we will have to wait and see how it went. Will ask if you have any more recent evidence which we didn't as I sent all with the form if you have any aids that help you you should take them with you iim his appointee so was allowed to do most of the talking. Take someone with you for moral support. 
    Others will probably have more experience of this than I do.  Good luck 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Are you sure it's at your local Job centre? Usually work capability assessments are taken place in locations other than a job centre.

You'll be asked questions about your conditions and the way you're affected. They will be assessing your ability to do any type of work, as ESA is about the work you can do, rather than the work you can't do.

Any evidence you have should have already been sent with the form. A lot of times they will refuse to accept it from you on the day of the assessment.

I'd advise you to take someone with you for support on the day. You'll have to answer all the questions yourself, unless you have an appointee.

Decision's after the assessment can take between 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • missyaly
    I don’t have anyone to go with me. 

I am pretty anxious about this. It says if I have any medical reports that I wish them to see, please bring them with you. This could be from your doctor consultant or support worker. 

It it is at the job centre but says it’s the Barnstaple assessment centre.

so should I post copies that I have to them or just take with me.
  • poppy123456
    It could be too late to post them now as they should have been sent with the form when you returned it. You can try to hand them in on the day of the assessment but don't be surprised if they refuse to accept them. It happened to me and lots of others too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Our first ever assessment consisted of questions about his disability. I was also asked about his medication. I think it’s too late to post any copies of medical reports and letters from the doctors.
    I recommend making copies of any letters and reports from the consultants etc as well. Take someone else with you for support. Otherwise you’ll be expected to answer all the questions independently. 
  • poppy123456
    Taking someone with you for support doesn't always help when answering those questions. Mostly unless you have an appointee then the HCP will expect you to answer all the questions in your own words. Sometimes a HCP will allow the person with you to prompt you but this doesn't always happen.
  • missyaly
    Well I am expecting the worse any way it’s been a really bad year, I don’t expect anything to change.

all I can do is be honest and answer the questions. I have a few letters here to take and appointment letters for the early new year.

time to put on my big girl pants, I will be exhausted by the time I get there and in pain. Anxiety will be through the roof quite possibly be throwing up shacking like a leaf in blizzard. 

Thanks for for the chat it’s helped
  • poppy123456
    Future appointment letters are not classed as evidence and they won't help your claim. This is because the letters don't tell them anything about your condition. All it says is you have an appointment in the future.
  • missyaly
    Oh ok 

not or much time to get my doctor to do much. But I might be able to get my phycosis worker to do something letter wise.

thanks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.