Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

Options
Sophiesmum2002
Sophiesmum2002 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
My fiance has been refused PIP even though he's dyslexic. He's had it since he was younger (he's in his 30's now like me). He was getting DLA ,but they told him to claim PIP instead and he was refused because he didn't score any points even though his dyslexia never will improve or get better.
He is thinking about trying to claim it again, but he's worried that he might not get an appointment for his assessment on one of his mum's days off work as she only has two days a week off as she's a carer.
Should my fiance still reapply for PIP in the new year?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    DLA and PIP are two different benefits, DLA was is about your disability whereas PIP is about your abilities. Your abilities to manage and how your illnesses, disability affect and impact on your daily life in relation to the PIP descriptors. So to sum it up if you can manage the PIP descriptors realable and repeatedly in a timely manner then you will not score enough point to be awarded PIP. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Starting another claim using the same evidence as before isn't the answer. Requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration then Tribunal if that fails is the best way. To constantly re-claim will more than likely see him be constantly refused.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

He has 1 month to request the MR from the date of the decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018
    Options
    wilko said:
    DLA and PIP are two different benefits, DLA was is about your disability whereas PIP is about your abilities. Your abilities to manage and how your illnesses, disability affect and impact on your daily life in relation to the PIP descriptors. So to sum it up if you can manage the PIP descriptors realable and repeatedly in a timely manner then you will not score enough point to be awarded PIP. 
    The only real difference between DLA and PIP are the descriptors. Both benefits are very similar but only PIP has narrow descriptors that you either fit or don't. DLA took a much more 'rounded' view of the disabilities - PIP takes a much more restrictive view.

As for the 'reliability' factor, it is not very often that an assessor or the DWP actually consider this to any great depth - sometimes I have the feeling that both view it as being an unnecessary hurdle to get over which is best ignored - it places far too much variability to the whole process. Both the assessor and the DWP would like to see it as more black and white, cut and dried.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.