I have been discharged from the mental health community group, advice for PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have been discharged from the mental health community group, advice for PIP assessment

bipopolar
bipopolar Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited December 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Thank you for letting me join I need your help. I'm panicking as i have been sent an appointment for a review assessment following the forms I sent back in a hurry a few weeks ago with no change in all questions. im panicked because I've been discharged from the mental health community group and stopped treatment because i missed a few appointments. I have tried to get back to them but it seems so difficult.  how can I be discharged from them because I missed appointments ? no treatment nothing.  What should I do to be taken seriously. ? Advice for the pip assessment plz. 

Comments

• bipopolar
    Where can i ask someone to come with me to the assessment ? 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018
    Hello @bipopolar   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.  Sorry to hear about what has happened.

I am a member of one of the team of community champions.  Who guide, offer support and information to new members. 

I myself have mental health problems long term.. Mainly anxiety, depression. So I know right now.  The feelings and emotions you have surrounding your welfare and care.  Because it happened to me.

They the mental health charity sent an Email announcing curtailing contract with them. No notice or signposting.

The system of the mental health services are over loaded, under funded and lack of support workers and staff.  You must understand this is not an ideal situation.  You miss an appointment or not attend anything. Like for example care plans or miss meetings.  With out good reasons or ignore the letters they send you.

Everything is designed for you to get well. Manage your condition the best way you can. That is what the whole treatment and being having the support means.

Your are on a contract with the support services they are there to help. Plus you must realise not cooperating or helping yourself the best way you can. Then they will discharge you. Say no a few times will discharge you.  To anything they suggest.

May I add will discharge you if they think you are coping, doing well. Managing your condition. The best you can do also. Thought say that . Had that myself several times.  Have to so many wanting support.

Remember staff may have so many clientele a week to a fortnight.  There hours are so long and often up early finishing late .

One suggestion is that I would first advise is to find some support for your self.  Look on line.  To give you reassurance.

I use mental health charities.  Even though do get support. I do know make myself available to help myself as I know limited time.

One I used: 

https://wwwrichmondfellowship.org.uk.

Have a look consider the schemes and support they offer.  You can self refer yourself or speak to your GP.  For further consultations.

For information on PIP assessment you will be sent a booklet with the interview process. What you need to do and say.  You will need some one to come with you as you stated. Unfortunately this is limited.

I would advise take a friend or some one who knows you well. Have a look on line for advocates some times these are available . All depends on time and certain area restrictions.

My advice is to speak to CAB for anything further benefit.  For forms and anything else.  Benefit.  CAB do not supply members to be in attendance.  For anything assessments.

Wish you well..  Please ask if we can advise further.  We are a friendly, supportive community.

Apologise long post wanted to explain the system and the issues and problems.  Hope you understand.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • bipopolar
    Thank you for your message @thespiceman. I don't know where to start 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bipopolar Thank you for the message.

Understand the difficulty you are going through this time, right now.

I would suggest try to remain calm.  To reassure you  Make a plan of what you think you need yourself to cope with anything.

Sit down with a pen and paper. Make some plans.  Does not have to be now just some guidance for you self.  Have I the need of speaking to services like Samaritans or Mind if the situation with my mental health gets bad.  Feel the need to talk to some one.

Just a suggestion.

Your goals and aims.   Go on line click into web search Google mental health services.  Your local area.  Have a look. 

When I left support care I need to know the next steps.   What is best for me.  At the moment coping but know will need some one again probably. Small steps.

Click onto the website I suggested in my post.  To you 

With Christmas there will might be problems with the staff.  Being available.  Please be aware of that.

Please come back to me if I can advise further. Only too happy to help and advise. Be supportive, listen to you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bipopolar

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current situation!!!!!!!

I am also one off the “Community Champion’s”

Yes I have also got “Mental Heath” issues following my “Stroke” & the following “Treatment’s”

If there is anything that I can help you getting on top off things?????
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    bipopolar said:
    Thank you for letting me join I need your help. I'm panicking as i have been sent an appointment for a review assessment following the forms I sent back in a hurry a few weeks ago with no change in all questions. im panicked because I've been discharged from the mental health community group and stopped treatment because i missed a few appointments. I have tried to get back to them but it seems so difficult.  how can I be discharged from them because I missed appointments ? no treatment nothing.  What should I do to be taken seriously. ? Advice for the pip assessment plz. 
    I'm afraid that that is how it is. It does seem to be the only way to get support is get yourself arrested by the police! They have a duty of care.
    I know it's a bit drastic but it's either that or present yourself at the local A&E.

In my area they closed down overnight the NHS Day Service and Support Centre for Mental Health - they needed the unit for a walk in minor injuries centre.

All of the patients that used to be with me at the MH centre were told that they, including myself, would cared for under the 'Care in the Community Programme' This never happened  we were all left to our own devises.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.