ESA contribution based ? effected by making a UC claim ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA contribution based ? effected by making a UC claim ?

Options
Magnoliabloom
Magnoliabloom Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Family member is on ESA contribution based (CB) support group and has been since 10/01/18.
Is she makes an application for child tax credit in a UC rolled out area this has to be via a UC claim.
Will UC claim change anything about the CB ESA. ?
The CB ESA is working well for her and no wish to change it .  
In addition do DWP need all rent details on the UC form if the claimant just wants to claim child tax credit  and not housing benefit ?
Thanks
Early response would help Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

The ESA will be deducted £ 1 for £1 from the UC claim.

If a claim for UC is made then housing benefit will also be transferred to UC.  Housing benefit will be paid for a further 2 weeks after the claim for UC is started. If renting privately a tenancy agreement will be needed for the housing element of UC to be paid.

May i ask why the person doesn't already claim tax credits?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Magnoliabloom
    Magnoliabloom Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    It is more complicated. Person in receipt of ESA CB. Child living 50:50 time with two seperated parents.  My relative and her boyfriend ( father of child) made claim for child Tax credits and it was allowed as apparently child's mother was not collecting child tax credits for her.  Relative started a UC claim but did not commit at the end .  Now does not want housing benefit but as result of UC claim - UC told tax credit stop the Child tax credits and close claim.
    UC is shambles and advantages disabled people.
    more when i can  but reluctant now to try get TC back by a UC claim as they talk about NEW ESA and that is worry. why should ESA  CB change at all ?
    thanks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.